How Do You Integrate sqrt(tan(theta))?

In summary, GCT is asking for help with a problem involving integration. He is stuck and doesn't know how to proceed. He has been told to substitute v = \sqrt{u}, but is having trouble doing that. He asks for help and offers a partial fraction solution, but later admits that this solution is easier.
shaiqbashir
Hi guys!

well I am stuck at the following problem and don't know how to proceed.

Plz help me

here is the problem

[tex]\int\sqrt{\tan{\theta}}d\theta[/tex]

here is what I am doing

let

[tex]u=\tan{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]du=(\sec^2{\theta}) d\theta[/tex]

[tex]1+u^2=(\sec^2{\theta})[/tex]

therefore

[tex]du= (1+u^2)d\theta[/tex]

so now i can write:

[tex]\int\frac{\sqrt{u}}{1+u^2}du[/tex]

but now I am stuck that how should i solve this problem now

am i applying the right technique then what should i do now and if I am wrong then what is the right method.

PLz help me as soon as possible as i have just hours left now.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Now substituting [itex]v = \sqrt{u}[/itex], or directly doing [itex]v = \sqrt{\tan{\theta}}[/itex], would give:

[tex]\int \frac{2v^2}{1+v^4} dv[/tex]

Which gets rid of the square root but of course, introduces higher powers.

Instead of [tex] u=\tan\theta [/tex]
Try

[tex] u^2=\tan\theta [/tex]

Once you make that substitution into the integral, divide the numerator and denominator by [tex] u^2 [/tex].

Then your denominator will be of the form [tex] u^2 + \frac{1}{u^2} [/tex].

Complete the square and see if you can manipulate the numerator (by adding and subtracting). It should be obvious once you do that.

Last edited:
yeah, just do what TD suggested and then you've got some nasty partial fraction work to do, tis one way to solve it...

Also, there were a few other threads on this a while back you might want to check out if you have any more questions.

GCT, you can avoid partial fractions. All you have to do is add and subtract [tex] \frac{1}{u^2} [/tex] to the numerator and write the denominator as [tex] (u+\frac{1}{u})^2 -2 [/tex] and [tex] (u-\frac{1}{u})^2 + 2[/tex].

At this moment I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, I apologize but right now I don't have time to work out your proposal. If you really wish to make your case evident, you should write down the full steps towards the full solution...you'll get more comments that way.

GCT said:
At this moment I'm not quite sure what you're referring to, I apologize but right now I don't have time to work out your proposal. If you really wish to make your case evident, you should write down the full steps towards the full solution...you'll get more comments that way.

From

[tex] \int \frac{2u^2}{1+u^4} du [/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{2}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du [/tex]

[tex] \int (\frac{1+\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2 + \frac{1}{u^2}} + \frac{1-\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2 + \frac{1}{u^2}}) du [/tex][tex] \int (\frac{1+\frac{1}{u^2}}{(u-\frac{1}{u})^2 + 2} + \frac{1-\frac{1}{u^2}}{(u+\frac{1}{u})^2 - 2}) du [/tex]

Evaluating each of these integrals is now very easy

Last edited:
not VERY simple. Let's see your final solution. So far your integral is starting to resemble the partial fraction solution, that is the partial fraction solution process has the same simplifications and forms.

GCT said:
not VERY simple. Let's see your final solution. So far your integral is starting to resemble the partial fraction solution, that is the partial fraction solution process has the same simplifications and forms.
Why not?
For the first Integral, set
[tex] u - \frac{1}{u} = t [/tex]
so that the Integral reduces to
[tex] \int \frac{dt}{t^2+2} [/tex]
For the second one, set
[tex] u + \frac{1}{u} = t [/tex]
and the Integral reduces to
[tex] \int \frac{dt}{t^2 -2} [/tex]
Surely this is easier?

right, alright I get it...very nice.

Related to How Do You Integrate sqrt(tan(theta))?

What is an urgent integration problem?

An urgent integration problem refers to a critical issue that arises when different systems or processes need to work together seamlessly. This could be caused by changes in technology, business processes, or other factors that require immediate attention in order to ensure the smooth functioning of the integrated systems.

Why is solving an urgent integration problem important?

Solving an urgent integration problem is important because it can have significant consequences on the overall performance and functioning of the integrated systems. If left unresolved, it could lead to disruptions, errors, and even system failures, which can result in financial losses and damage to the reputation of the organization.

What are some common examples of urgent integration problems?

Some common examples of urgent integration problems include data integration issues, compatibility issues between different software or systems, and communication breakdowns between different departments or teams within an organization. Other examples could include problems with integrating new technologies or processes into existing systems.

What are some steps to solve an urgent integration problem?

The first step to solving an urgent integration problem is to identify the root cause of the issue. This could involve conducting a thorough analysis and troubleshooting to pinpoint the specific problem. Once the issue has been identified, it is important to communicate and collaborate with all stakeholders involved to develop a plan of action. This could include implementing temporary workarounds, making necessary changes or updates, and testing the integrated systems to ensure that the problem has been resolved.

How can I prevent urgent integration problems from occurring?

To prevent urgent integration problems, it is important to have a well-designed integration strategy in place. This includes regular maintenance and updates to integrated systems, as well as conducting thorough testing before implementing any changes. It is also crucial to have effective communication and collaboration between all stakeholders involved in the integration process to address any potential issues before they become urgent problems.