How do you know what delta to choose

• Thread starter blackblanx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Delta
In summary, we are trying to find a value for delta that will satisfy the given condition of lim (1/x) = 1 for epsilon = .07. Using the definition of a limit, we can manipulate the expression to find a bound for delta. We use the fact that |x-1| is already bounded by delta, and then show that we can also find a bound for 1/|x|. Combining these bounds, we can find a value for delta that satisfies the condition.
blackblanx
Find the delta for the given epsilon. lim (1/x) =1 epsilon=.07
x->1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to here .07526 >x-1> -.06542 so what one is me delta??

Physics news on Phys.org
I got to run, but it will help whoever helps you if you say how you got there.

blackblanx said:
Find the delta for the given epsilon. lim (1/x) =1 epsilon=.07
x->1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to here .07526 >x-1> -.06542 so what one is me delta??

You want a positive number for delta.

Mark44 said:
You want a positive number for delta.

I got the problem from http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/1/definition.8/index.html and they say that delta is .06542 but they are unclear of how they decided that. How did they come to that conclusion?

Let [tex]\varepsilon > 0.[/tex] Assume the existence of a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that [tex]0 < |x-1| < \delta.[/tex] Then

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{x} - 1\right| = |x-1|\cdot\frac{1}{|x|} .[/tex]

The |x-1| term already has a bound, so we need some bound on 1/|x|. Suppose that [tex]\delta \leq 1[/tex] so that
[tex]|1| - |x| \leq |1-x| < \delta \Rightarrow |x| > 1 - \delta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{|x|} < \frac{1}{1-\delta}.[/tex]

This implies that

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{x} - 1\right| = |x-1|\cdot\frac{1}{|x|} < \frac{\delta}{1 - \delta}.[/tex]

Requiring this last expression on the right to be [tex]\leq \epsilon,[/tex] we find that setting

[tex]\delta = \min(1, \frac{\varepsilon}{\varepsilon + 1})\mbox{ ensures that } \left|\frac{1}{x} - 1\right| < \varepsilon.[/tex]

Note: We chose delta to be less than or equal to 1 to make it easier to find a bound for 1/|x|, but we could have picked a number smaller than 1. Any number a > 1 would not work, since this would imply that |x-1| < a which would mean that x is in (1-a, 1+a) and since 1-a < 0 < 1 + a, division by zero could occur.

Note: Plugging in epsilon = .07 gives the delta you were looking for.

Last edited:
Oh, I see thank you snipez.

snipez90 said:
Let [tex]\varepsilon > 0.[/tex] Assume the existence of a [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that [tex]0 < |x-1| < \delta.[/tex] Then

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{x} - 1\right| = |x-1|\cdot\frac{1}{|x|} .[/tex]

The |x-1| term already has a bound, so we need some bound on 1/|x|. Suppose that [tex]\delta \leq 1[/tex] so that
[tex]|1| - |x| \leq |1-x| < \delta \Rightarrow |x| > 1 - \delta \Rightarrow \frac{1}{|x|} < \frac{1}{1-\delta}.[/tex]

This implies that

[tex]\left|\frac{1}{x} - 1\right| = |x-1|\cdot\frac{1}{|x|} < \frac{\delta}{1 - \delta}.[/tex]

Requiring this last expression on the right to be [tex]\leq \epsilon,[/tex] we find that setting

[tex]\delta = \min(1, \frac{\varepsilon}{\varepsilon + 1})\mbox{ ensures that } \left|\frac{1}{x} - 1\right| < \varepsilon.[/tex]

Note: We chose delta to be less than or equal to 1 to make it easier to find a bound for 1/|x|, but we could have picked a number smaller than 1. Any number a > 1 would not work, since this would imply that |x-1| < a which would mean that x is in (1-a, 1+a) and since 1-a < 0 < 1 + a, division by zero could occur.

Note: Plugging in epsilon = .07 gives the delta you were looking for.

but can you explain your steps a little more please, I've never seen it done like that before. up at the top how did X-1<delta turn into l1l-lxl<=l1-xl<=delta

1. How do you determine the appropriate value for delta when conducting experiments?

The value for delta is typically determined by considering the precision and accuracy needed for the experiment. This involves considering factors such as the sensitivity of the equipment being used, the desired level of confidence in the results, and any potential sources of error.

2. What is the significance of choosing the right delta in scientific research?

The value of delta directly affects the reliability and validity of the experimental results. Choosing the appropriate value ensures that the data collected is precise and accurate, allowing for more meaningful and accurate conclusions to be drawn from the research.

3. Are there any guidelines or rules for selecting the value of delta?

While there are no set rules, there are some general guidelines that can be followed. For example, a smaller delta value is typically used for experiments that require high precision, while a larger delta value may be acceptable for experiments where slight variation is not critical.

4. Can the value of delta be changed during an experiment?

In most cases, the value of delta should remain constant throughout an experiment to ensure consistency and accuracy in the data collected. However, there may be instances where adjusting the value of delta may be necessary, such as in cases where unexpected variables arise.

5. How do you know if the chosen delta value is appropriate for the experiment?

The best way to know if the chosen delta value is appropriate is to conduct a pilot study or perform a statistical analysis of the data collected. This can help determine if the results are within an acceptable range of error and if any adjustments to the delta value need to be made for future experiments.