How Do You Prove Sets Have Cardinality Aleph-Nought?

In summary: The set is {-5, -4, -3, ..., 0, 1, 2, 3, ...} and each number in the set can be associated with one of the members in the set {-5, -4, -3, ...}. So, for example, 3 can be associated with the member -3, and 1 can be associated with the member 0.
dhillon
URGENT HELP PLEASEEEE, a question on set theory

Homework Statement

the question is:

Prove that these sets have cardinality aleph-nought:(there is two 2 prove)

(a) {1/(2^k) : k∈ℕ}

(b) {x∈ℤ : x >= -5}

im not sure how to work this out, please help on this, i did ask on a previous thread how to prove cardinality of a statement, thanks for your help guys

Physics news on Phys.org

dhillon said:

Homework Statement

the question is:

Prove that these sets have cardinality aleph-nought:(there is two 2 prove)

(a) {1/(2^k) : k∈ℕ}

(b) {x∈ℤ : x >= -5}

im not sure how to work this out, please help on this, i did ask on a previous thread how to prove cardinality of a statement, thanks for your help guys
I'm using IE8, which doesn't display some symbols. For a, I'm guessing that it says that k is a positive integer. I have no idea what the two symbols after x are in the b part.

To show that the cardinality of a set is Aleph-nought, show that there is a one-to-one pairing between the elements in the set and the positive integers.

hey thanks for trying to help, I truthfully have no idea on how to do this,

part a) k is an element of natural number e.g 1,2,3,4...
part b) x is an element of integers e.g -3,-2,0,1,2,3...

if this has helped please let me know

dhillon said:
hey thanks for trying to help, I truthfully have no idea on how to do this,
Did you miss the second paragraph in my post?
dhillon said:
part a) k is an element of natural number e.g 1,2,3,4...
part b) x is an element of integers e.g -3,-2,0,1,2,3...
In part b, the set is {-5, -4, -3, ..., 0, 1, 2, 3, ...}

oh ok sorry i missed that, i'll try, thanks for the help, i was trying since morning but I am not sure that's the thing, i'll keep trying though, do you know how to work this out by any chance? because I am soo stuck :( , thank you

Yes, I know how to do them. Neither one requires much work. The first one is almost obvious.

For a, write the set in expanded form, starting with the first member and continuing for 5 or 6 members. Show that each member in this set can be associated with one of the numbers in the set {1, 2, 3, 4, ...} and be able to show the pairing for an arbitrary member of your first set.

It's very similar for the b part.

Related to How Do You Prove Sets Have Cardinality Aleph-Nought?

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for other areas of mathematics, such as logic and algebra.

2. How is set theory used in science?

Set theory is used in various fields of science, such as computer science, physics, and biology. In computer science, it is used to develop algorithms and data structures. In physics, it is used to study the properties of physical systems. In biology, it is used to classify species and study their relationships.

3. What are the basic concepts of set theory?

The basic concepts of set theory include sets, elements, subsets, and operations on sets such as union, intersection, and complement. Sets are represented by curly braces and contain distinct objects called elements. A subset is a set that contains only elements from another set. Operations on sets involve combining, comparing, or manipulating sets.

4. What is the importance of set theory in mathematics?

Set theory is considered to be one of the foundational theories in mathematics. It provides a rigorous framework for defining and studying mathematical objects, such as numbers, functions, and geometric shapes. It also allows for the development of new mathematical theories and concepts.

5. How can set theory be applied in everyday life?

Set theory can be applied in everyday life in various ways. For example, it can be used to organize and classify objects, such as books in a library or groceries in a shopping list. It can also be used to solve problems involving groups of objects, such as scheduling tasks or organizing events. Additionally, understanding set theory can help with logical reasoning and decision making.