I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you clarify?

In summary, the statement "If A is denumerable, then since ##|2^A| > |A|, 2^A ## is not denumerable." is true, but "denumerable" does not mean "countable".
knowLittle
Set Theory -- Uncountable Sets

Homework Statement

Prove or disprove.
There is no set A such that ##2^A## is denumberable.

The Attempt at a Solution

A set is denumerable if ##|A| = |N|##

My book shows that the statement is true.
If A is denumerable, then since ##|2^A| > |A|, 2^A ## is not denumerable.

I don't understand why they state that 2^A > A? I thought that in denumerable sets you can't really say that there is one set greater than other? I thought that there is denumerable or uncountable and that's it.
But, there is not a denumerable set greater than another denumerable set.

Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
knowLittle said:
I don't understand why they state that 2^A > A? I thought that in denumerable sets you can't really say that there is one set greater than other?
That's true, but 2A is not countable - that's the point.
I thought that there is denumerable or uncountable and that's it.
Well, no - there are infinitely many orders of infinity. If B is uncountable, there is still no bijection between B and its power set, so |2B| is a higher order of infinity.
Your book appears to be using the general theorem that |2A|>|A|. I suggest you locate that in your book and study it.

Likes 1 person
Some textbooks use the term "denumerable" to mean "finite or countable".

If A is a finite set then [itex]2^A[/itex] is also finite so "denumerable".

If, however, you are using "denumerable" to mean "countably infinite" then the statement is true.

Likes 1 person
So, for a countably(denumerable) infinite A, ## |2^A| ## is an uncountably infinite?

knowLittle said:
So, for a countably(denumerable) infinite A, ## |2^A| ## is an uncountably infinite?

Yes.

Likes 1 person
knowLittle said:

Since "infinite" is an adjective, the word "an" should not be there!:-p

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
Since "infinite" is an adjective, the word "an" should not be there!:-p
Yes.
:/

1. What is an uncountable set?

An uncountable set is a set that has an infinite number of elements and cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

2. How do you prove that a set is uncountable?

To prove that a set is uncountable, you can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that the set is countable, then construct a new element that is not in the supposed countable set, thus proving that the set is uncountable.

3. What is the cardinality of an uncountable set?

The cardinality of an uncountable set is equal to the cardinality of the set of real numbers (denoted by ℕ). This means that the number of elements in an uncountable set is larger than the number of elements in a countable set.

4. Can an uncountable set have a countable subset?

Yes, it is possible for an uncountable set to have a countable subset. For example, the set of all real numbers between 0 and 1 (denoted by [0,1]) is uncountable, but it has a countable subset, the set of rational numbers between 0 and 1.

5. What is the Cantor diagonalization argument?

The Cantor diagonalization argument is a proof technique used to show that a set is uncountable. It involves constructing a new element using the diagonal elements of a supposed countable set, thus proving that the set is uncountable.