How does a jumping bug affect the rotational dynamics of a uniform bar?

In summary, the problem involves a bug of mass 10.0 g standing on one end of a 50.0 g, 100 cm thin uniform bar that is initially at rest on a smooth horizontal table. The other end of the bar can rotate freely about a nail driven into the table. The bug jumps off the bar in a horizontal direction, perpendicular to the bar, with a velocity of 20.0 cm/s relative to the table. The angular speed of the bar just after the bug leaps is determined by using the equation \omega=V/r. The total kinetic energy of the system after the bug leaps is found by calculating the rotational kinetic energy of the bar using 1/2I\omega^2 and the
eeriana

Homework Statement

A bug of mass 10.0 g stands at one end of a thin uniform bar that is initially at rest on a smooth horizontal table. The other end of the bar pivots about a nail driven into the table and can rotate freely, without friction. The bar has mass 50.0g and is 100 cm in length. The bug jumps off in the horizontal direction, perpendicular to the bar, with a 20.0 cm/s relative to the table. a) What is the angular speed of the bar just after the bug leaps? b) What is the total kinetic energy of the system just after the bug leaps? c) Where does this energy come from?

Homework Equations

Ke= 1/2 MVcm^2

[tex]\omega[/tex]=V/r

The Attempt at a Solution

First I want to say thanks, you all have been a big help to me with the questions I have posed in the past... I don't always say it but thank you.

My problem is trying to set it up, I tried to draw the picture and can't visualize the orientation of the system. I can't seem to figure out how the bar rotates if it is horizontal then how can the bug jump off in the horizontal direction perpendicular to the bar. Any thoughts to help me put this in perspective?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as a clock lying face up on a horizontal surface with the minute hand (the bar)pointing to 12. The bug, sat on the end of the hand furthest from the pivot, jumps horizontally, say toward 11.

There are many "perpendicular to the bar"s, a whole 360 degrees of them, but only two are horizontal.

So when I draw it, I should draw it from a top view? Would that let me see what's going on from a better perspective?

Sure

Thank you so much I got the angular velocity... that makes sense now.

One more thing... I can't seem to get the KE in the system after the bug jumped. I know the answer in the book, I am using: KE=1/2mv^2 + 1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex]^2. I thought I was on the right track and then got stumped. Am I not looking at this right?

Thanks again...

I don't (yet) do rotational dynamics so will leave that for someone else to answer.

Sometimes nobody else will look in on a thread where someone is already helping so you might want to start a new thread with your remaining question.

One last thing ... what sort of bug weighs 10g?!

HAHA I don't know. I don't want to know. heh. But thank you for your help!

I have the same problem. I know that the bug produces a torque (I don't know what torque though), and therefore the Angular Momentum is not conserved. However, I can't figure out how this helps me. Does anyone have a hint for this problem?

Be impulsive!

What impules is required to accelerate the bug? There must be an equal and opposite impulse on the bar.

eeriana said:
Thank you so much I got the angular velocity... that makes sense now.

One more thing... I can't seem to get the KE in the system after the bug jumped. I know the answer in the book, I am using: KE=1/2mv^2 + 1/2I[tex]\omega[/tex]^2. I thought I was on the right track and then got stumped. Am I not looking at this right?

Thanks again...

If you've already got the angular velo w, then simply calculate Iw^2/2 for the rotational KE of the rod, and mv^2/2 for the KE of the bug. Isn't that giving the right answer?

The energy comes from the muscular energy of the bug.

1. What is rotational dynamics?

Rotational dynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects that rotate, such as wheels, gears, and planets. It involves the study of forces and torques that cause rotational motion, as well as the relationships between rotational variables such as angular velocity, angular acceleration, and moment of inertia.

2. What is a moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is similar to mass in linear motion, and is calculated by summing the products of each particle's mass and its distance from the axis of rotation squared.

3. How do you solve a rotational dynamics problem?

The first step in solving a rotational dynamics problem is to draw a free body diagram of the object, indicating all the forces and torques acting on it. Then, use Newton's second law for rotational motion, which states that the sum of all torques acting on an object is equal to its moment of inertia times its angular acceleration. Finally, use kinematic equations to solve for any unknown rotational variables.

4. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. While linear velocity is measured in meters per second, angular velocity is measured in radians per second.

5. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, affects an object's motion by determining how difficult it is to change its rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate, while objects with a lower moment of inertia will be easier to rotate.