How does a Synchronous condenser shift the phase

In summary, when you over-excite or under-excite the rotor of a synchronous motor, the current flowing through the motor is changed, and this change in current affects the power factor of the armature.
tim9000
Hi,
So when you over-excite the rotor of a synchronous motor, or under-excite the rotor of a synchronous generator, how is the flux actually changing the power factor of the armature to leading? (something to do with the magnitude of the armature reaction flux vector?)
That is to ask: by what mechanism does this modify the relation of the current to the voltage waveforms?

Pictures welcome.

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
tim9000 said:
Hi,
So when you over-excite the rotor of a synchronous motor, or under-excite the rotor of a synchronous generator, how is the flux actually changing the power factor of the armature to leading? (something to do with the magnitude of the armature reaction flux vector?)
That is to ask: by what mechanism does this modify the relation of the current to the voltage waveforms?

Pictures welcome.

Cheers!
The current flowing through the motor (Iph or Iaph) is due to the resultant emf i.e. vector sum of stator voltage applied(Vph) and back emf Eb.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMwZ3lEGu84tDmQI6AMjEHij62cGqC16iL8OZa1L0FlbUBTXYs.png

When the excitation is changed, length of Eb vector changes (and Vph is constant throughout). This changes the magnitude as well as phase of the resultant emf. You can see it in the phasor diagram. There is a phase difference of θ(≅90°) between Er and Iph. So, as the Er vector changes its phase, I am vector is dragged along with it, thereby changing the power factor angle. Magnitude of I am also changes as magnitude of Er has changed (Er=Im*Zs) and it changes in such a way that its active component remains constant i.e. Im*cosΦ is constant since the loading condition is unchanged.
So, to summarize,
Change in excitation changes the phase angle of the opposing emf→Hence, the angle between resultant emf and supply voltage(Vph) changes. →As I am and Er have fixed phase difference, I am is modified as per the magnitude and position of Er→This changes the angle between I am and Vph(Vph is fixed)→This changes the p.f.

Last edited:
tim9000 said:
something to do with the magnitude of the armature reaction flux vector?
I believe armature reaction flux vector only determines the magnitude of Zs.

Last edited:
The secret to understanding synchronous machines is to shift your reference frame to the D-Q (direct and quadrature) axes. Everything becomes magically simpler and easy to understand in that frame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct–quadrature–zero_transformation

Unfortunately, that Wikipedia article is not very good. Other PF regulars, maybe Jim Hardy, can think of a better reference for you to study.

1. What is a synchronous condenser?

A synchronous condenser is a type of electrical machine used to regulate voltage and improve power factor in an electrical system. It consists of a synchronous motor with no mechanical load attached to its shaft, allowing it to operate at a leading or lagging power factor.

2. How does a synchronous condenser shift the phase?

A synchronous condenser shifts the phase by adjusting its excitation level, which changes the strength of its magnetic field. By altering the magnetic field, the synchronous condenser can either lead or lag the voltage and current in the electrical system, effectively shifting the phase.

3. What are the benefits of using a synchronous condenser?

There are several benefits to using a synchronous condenser, including improved voltage regulation, increased power factor, and better stability of the electrical system. Synchronous condensers can also help mitigate the effects of sudden changes in load and improve the overall efficiency of the system.

4. How does a synchronous condenser differ from a synchronous generator?

While both machines have a similar design, a synchronous condenser has no mechanical load attached to its shaft, while a synchronous generator is connected to a mechanical load. This difference allows the synchronous condenser to operate at a different power factor and perform a different function in the electrical system.

5. What are some common applications of synchronous condensers?

Synchronous condensers are commonly used in power systems with high levels of renewable energy sources, as they can help regulate the voltage and power factor fluctuations caused by these intermittent sources. They are also used in industrial plants, railway systems, and large commercial buildings to improve the stability and efficiency of the electrical system.