How does a voltage comparator work? very simple explanation I need

In summary, a voltage comparator is a device that compares two input voltages and outputs the higher voltage. It can be created using a standard op-amp without negative feedback. When the voltage at the non-inverting input is higher than the voltage at the inverting input, the op-amp outputs the maximum positive voltage. When the non-inverting input drops below the inverting input, the op-amp outputs the maximum negative voltage.
KAS90
Hello every1..
I would like just sum help in unerstanding how a voltage comparator works..
I tried to read journals.. books.. but till now, I feel so lost..
can someone just give me a simple explanation of the SIMPLEST voltage comparator? sumthing to help me get on with it...
I'd appreciate that a lot..
i will help me with my project, as I'm running out of time..
thanx a lot in advance..

Engineering news on Phys.org
A standard op-amp operating without negative feedback can be used as a comparator. When the non-inverting input (V+) is at a higher voltage than the inverting input (V-), the high gain of the op-amp causes it to output the most positive voltage it can. When the non-inverting input (V+) drops below the inverting input (V-), the op-amp outputs the most negative voltage it can.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparator"

Can't think of any simpler way to say it.

Last edited by a moderator:

A voltage comparator is an electronic device that compares two different voltage inputs and outputs a digital signal based on which input has a higher voltage. It works by using a reference voltage and a feedback loop. The reference voltage is set by the user and acts as a threshold for the comparator. The feedback loop continuously compares the reference voltage to the input voltage and when the input voltage exceeds the reference voltage, the comparator outputs a high signal, and when the input voltage is lower, the comparator outputs a low signal. This simple mechanism allows the comparator to make a decision on which input has a higher voltage and provide a digital output accordingly.

1. How does a voltage comparator work?

A voltage comparator is an electronic circuit that compares two input voltages and determines which one is larger or smaller. It works by amplifying the difference between the two input voltages and outputting a logic level signal based on the comparison.

2. What is the purpose of a voltage comparator?

The purpose of a voltage comparator is to compare two input voltages and output a digital signal indicating which one is larger or smaller. It is commonly used in electronic circuits for tasks such as digital-to-analog conversion, threshold detection, and voltage level monitoring.

3. How does a voltage comparator output a digital signal?

A voltage comparator outputs a digital signal by using an internal reference voltage to compare the two input voltages. If the first input voltage is higher than the second, the output will be a logic high (usually represented as a 1). If the second input voltage is higher, the output will be a logic low (usually represented as a 0).

4. Can a voltage comparator be used for analog-to-digital conversion?

Yes, a voltage comparator can be used for analog-to-digital conversion by using a technique called successive approximation. This involves using the comparator to compare the input voltage to a series of reference voltages and determining the digital output based on which reference voltage is closest to the input voltage.

5. How accurate is a voltage comparator?

A voltage comparator can be very accurate, with some models having a precision of 0.1% or better. However, accuracy can be affected by factors such as input voltage range, supply voltage, and temperature. It is important to carefully select a voltage comparator that meets the required accuracy for your specific application.