How does electricity power devices?

In summary, we use electric current to turn different forms of energy into other forms, like microwaves or an electric motor.
Kelju Ivan
I've been wondering how or why electricity actually works. Resistance heaters and light bulbs just turn the kinetic energy of electrons into heat, but what about more complex devices? For example, why does a microwave oven do something useful when electrons flow in the circuitry?

Physics news on Phys.org
Accelerated charges radiate. That is the basic law in regards to a microwave. A microwave contains a magnetron. A magnetron creates a large amount of free electrons that it accelerates in a spiral fashion. These electrons then radiate microwaves that are directed into a cavity waveguide which directs them into the cooking chamber.

A/C currents create electromagnetic radiation (akin to accelerating charges again) as well.

Thanks for the answer, but that really wasn't my question. I was trying to find a general answer, why does any electric device work. What good are mobile electrons in devices which aren't meant for generating radiation, like computers or food mixers? Somehow the electrons manage to make things spin and I can't understand how.

Motors work by magnetic fields. A moving current in a wire generates a magnetic field - that attracts another magnet (or another wire) - this forces spins a shaft.

Kelju Ivan said:
I've been wondering how or why electricity actually works. Resistance heaters and light bulbs just turn the kinetic energy of electrons into heat, but what about more complex devices? For example, why does a microwave oven do something useful when electrons flow in the circuitry?

It works because we are manipulating energy to the extent we can...though I'm not too sure if I can give you a good definition of energy.

Kelju Ivan said:
I was trying to find a general answer, why does any electric device work.

I don't think there is a general answer, since different devices use different principles to convert electric current into other forms of energy. Producing microwaves is different than making an electric motor spin.

People spend years studying a wide array of devices, in order to learn how all (or many) of them work.

Hmm. Alright, thanks for the answers everybody.

1. How does electricity generate power?

Electricity is generated through the conversion of various forms of energy, such as chemical, mechanical, or solar energy, into electrical energy. This process is typically done in power plants using generators, which produce electricity by rotating a magnet inside a coil of wire.

2. What is the role of voltage in powering devices?

Voltage is the measure of electrical potential energy in a circuit. It determines the amount of force or push that is needed to move electrons through a conductor. In order for devices to operate, they require a specific amount of voltage to be supplied.

3. How does electricity flow through a circuit?

Electricity flows through a circuit in a closed loop, from a power source such as a battery or outlet, through a conductor, and back to the power source. The flow of electricity is facilitated by the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles.

4. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity flows in one direction and then reverses, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in one direction only. Most household devices use AC electricity, while DC electricity is commonly found in batteries and smaller electronic devices.

5. Can electricity be stored?

Yes, electricity can be stored in batteries, which act as reservoirs for electrical energy. When connected to a circuit, the stored energy can be released to power devices. However, energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another.