Why we say that electrical energy is power over time p x t

In summary: The name electrical energy is just a name, it doesn't really matter what it is called. It is simply energy that is transferred in the form of electrical current.
tor1990
Greeting .

how electrical energy can be power over time when electrical energy is actually potential energy .

from a lot of sources (wiki ,study.com..) comes the information that electric energy is potential or kinetic energy in other sources is said to be electric power p x t so i am confused by this

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

It sounds like you are getting confused by definition of words.

Electrical energy is not like mechanical energy. Mechanical potential and kinetic energies are not like electric energy.

The electric potential is not energy.

One can say that power is rate of change of energy.

In order to have electric power flow, we must have both a potential difference (V) and current flow (I), P=V*I. If V is zero or if I is zero, then P is zero.In words, power is to energy as speed is to distance. I assume you know how speed and distance are defined and how they relate to each other.

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

It sounds like you are getting confused by definition of words.

Electrical energy is not like mechanical energy. Mechanical potential and kinetic energies are not like electric energy.

The electric potential is not energy.

One can say that power is rate of change of energy.

In order to have electric power flow, we must have both a potential difference (V) and current flow (I), P=V*I. If V is zero or if I is zero, then P is zero.In words, power is to energy as speed is to distance. I assume you know how speed and distance are defined and how they relate to each other.
ok i understand what you men but what then wiki and study .com constantly saying the electrical energy is potential energy i will quote :

Electrical energy is potential energy, which is energy stored in an object due to the object's position. Well, in terms of electrical energy, the object is the charged particle, and the position is the location of that charged particle within the electric field. The charged particle will have the potential to move, or to do work, due to the force of the electric field.

Power is the rate at which energy is used so..

Power = ∆energy/∆time

Rearrange to give

∆energy = power * ∆time

This work for all forms of energy.

The wikipedia article applies to only one circumstance. That is when charged particles are brought closer together it takes energy to do that, and the electric potential is proportional to that energy.

There are other ways to create power, chemical energy is one, and moving a wire through a magnetic field is another. That wikipedia paragraph does not describe those.

In the future, if you cite a wikipedia article, also give a link to the article so that we can see the context.

anorlunda said:
The wikipedia article applies to only one circumstance. That is when charged particles are brought closer together it takes energy to do that, and the electric potential is proportional to that energy.

There are other ways to create power, chemical energy is one, and moving a wire through a magnetic field is another. That wikipedia paragraph does not describe those.

In the future, if you cite a wikipedia article, also give a link to the article so that we can see the context.
this is not from wiki this is from study .com link is https://study.com/academy/lesson/what-is-electric-energy-definition-examples.html

tor1990 said:
ok i understand what you men but what then wiki and study .com constantly saying the electrical energy is potential energy
It simply doesn’t matter. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred. It can be potential energy or kinetic energy or whatever. The type of energy transferred is not relevant, the rate at which it is transferred is always called power.

Likes CWatters and SammyS
Dale said:
It simply doesn’t matter. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred. It can be potential energy or kinetic energy or whatever. The type of energy transferred is not relevant, the rate at which it is transferred is always called power.

ok but i repeat again whay is then p x t called electrical energy how we can have 2 definition of electrical energy

tor1990 said:
ok but i repeat again whay is then p x t called electrical energy how we can have 2 definition of electrical energy
There can be many equally valid mathematical expressions which all mean the same thing. That is largely what math is used for: determining many other formulas for the same thing. So if you wanted we could come with many more than just 2.

1. Why is electrical energy measured in units of power over time?

Electrical energy is the amount of energy that is transferred or produced by an electric current. This energy is measured in units of power over time, which is known as wattage. This is because electrical energy is the product of power (watts) and time (seconds), and is used to quantify the rate at which energy is consumed or produced.

2. How is electrical power related to time?

Electrical power is the rate at which energy is consumed or produced. This means that the amount of power being used or generated at any given moment is directly related to the amount of time it is being used or generated for. This is why electrical energy is measured in units of power over time, as it takes into account both power and time.

3. What is the difference between electrical energy and electrical power?

Electrical energy is the total amount of energy that is transferred or produced by an electric current, while electrical power is the rate at which this energy is consumed or produced. In other words, electrical energy is a measure of the total amount of energy used or generated, while electrical power is a measure of the rate at which this energy is used or generated.

4. How is electrical energy different from other forms of energy?

Electrical energy is a type of kinetic energy, which means it is the energy of motion. It is different from other forms of energy such as thermal energy (heat), potential energy (stored energy), or chemical energy (energy stored in bonds) because it is the result of the movement of charged particles (usually electrons) through a conductor.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of power over time in relation to electrical energy?

Understanding the concept of power over time is essential for understanding the cost and efficiency of electrical energy use. By knowing the rate at which energy is consumed or produced, we can calculate the cost of energy usage or determine the efficiency of an electrical system. Additionally, understanding power over time allows us to better manage and control our energy usage, leading to more sustainable and cost-effective energy practices.