How Does Increasing 'n' Affect the Cut-off Frequency 'k_cut' in DFT Analysis?

In summary, the Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is a mathematical algorithm used to decompose a signal into its component frequencies, applied to discrete data. It is important because it allows for analysis in the frequency domain, providing insights into signal characteristics and behavior. The DFT is calculated using a mathematical formula, and is different from the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), which is a more efficient implementation of the DFT. Applications of the DFT include signal processing, compression, speech recognition, data analysis, and scientific research.
Silviu

Homework Statement

I have this function ##f(\theta)=cos(n \ sin(\frac{\theta}{2})\pi)## and I need to take the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) numerically. I did so and I attached the result for ##\theta \in [0,2\pi)## and n =2,4,8,16,32, together with the function for a given n. I need to give a qualitatively explanation of the dependence of ##k_{cut}##, the value of k where the ##|c_k|## starts to go down and n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Based on the plot of the actual function, when you increase n, the period stays the same, ##2\pi## (obviously) but the number of small oscillations within a period increases linearly with n. As for higher and higher n we need higher and higher frequencies, when we do the DFT, the terms with higher and higher frequency will play an important role, compared to the case when n is small, thus, ##c_k## of this high frequency terms (that corresponds to a high k) must have a non-negligible value, thus the descent point goes higher and higher, as n goes higher and higher, in order to keep this high k terms. (again I need a qualitative explanation). Is this enough to explain this behavior, or is there something else happening here that I should consider? Thank you! (ignore all the small oscillations at the end that are due to numerical limitations, I just care about the math behind the first part of the plot)

Attachments

• DFT.png
    DFT.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 425
  • Func.png
    Func.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org

Your explanation is partially correct. As n increases, the number of small oscillations within a period also increases, resulting in a higher frequency content in the function. This means that in the DFT, the higher frequency terms will have a larger contribution to the overall function, leading to a higher value of k where the |c_k| starts to decrease.

However, there is another factor at play here. As n increases, the function becomes more and more complex, with more small oscillations and sharper peaks. This means that the function has a larger number of discontinuities and sharp changes, which require higher frequency components to accurately represent in the DFT. This further contributes to the increase in the value of k where the |c_k| starts to decrease.

In summary, as n increases, both the frequency content and the complexity of the function increase, requiring higher frequency components to accurately represent it in the DFT. This is why the value of k where the |c_k| starts to decrease also increases with n.

Related to How Does Increasing 'n' Affect the Cut-off Frequency 'k_cut' in DFT Analysis?

What is a Discrete Fourier Transform?

A Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is a mathematical algorithm used to decompose a signal into its component frequencies. It is a type of Fourier transform that is applied to discrete, or sampled, data.

Why is the Discrete Fourier Transform important?

The Discrete Fourier Transform is important because it allows us to analyze signals in the frequency domain. This can provide valuable insights into the characteristics and behavior of the signal, such as identifying the dominant frequencies, detecting periodicity, and filtering out noise.

How is the Discrete Fourier Transform calculated?

The Discrete Fourier Transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves complex numbers and involves converting a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. This formula is applied to each sample in the signal, resulting in a spectrum of frequency components.

What is the difference between the Discrete Fourier Transform and the Fast Fourier Transform?

The Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) and the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) are often used interchangeably, but they are not exactly the same. The DFT is a mathematical algorithm that calculates the Fourier transform of a signal, while the FFT is an implementation of the DFT that uses more efficient computational techniques to speed up the calculation.

What are some applications of the Discrete Fourier Transform?

The Discrete Fourier Transform has many applications in various fields, including signal processing, audio and image compression, speech recognition, and data analysis. It is also used in scientific research to analyze and interpret various types of data, such as astronomical signals, brain waves, and stock market data.