How does lifetime of a cyclone affect: precipitation and intensity

In summary, extratropical cyclones (low pressure frontal systems) in the Northern Atlantic-region tend to produce more total precipitation when their lifetime (of the individual cyclone) is longer within the same season.
Imolopa
When the total lifetime of an extratropical cyclone over the ocean in the Northern Atlantic-region gets longer (within the same season):
- Do the total precipitation sums increase?
- Does the precipitation intensities increase?
- Does the intensity of the cyclone increase?

For example what would be the differences between a cyclone that lasts one or two days in total in winter versus a cyclone that lasts nine days in total in winter (both over water)?

Any reliable research or research institution/organization that mention this/published research article mentioning/backing up this claim?

Last edited:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Imolopa said:
Do extratropical cyclones become more intense in the Northern Atlantic and bring more precipitation when their lifetime (of the individual cyclone) is longer within the same season?

Any reliable research or research institution/organization that mention this/published research article mentioning/backing up this claim?
I'm having trouble understanding your question (and your thread title). What do you mean by "lifetime" of a cyclone? Time over water (gaining energy) or time over land (losing energy)? Can you use "Sandy" as an example to illustrate your question? Thanks.

berkeman said:
I'm having trouble understanding your question (and your thread title). What do you mean by "lifetime" of a cyclone? Time over water (gaining energy) or time over land (losing energy)? Can you use "Sandy" as an example to illustrate your question? Thanks.

Thanks for the input! I editted the main question now to make it clearer. Yes I mean time over water.

For a typical cyclone or just any low pressure system really,
The total amount of precipitation it generates will be the result of many factors.
The amount of time it exists for will certainly be one of the most significant factors.
A cyclone which is producing say 5cm per day average rainfall is clearly going to produce more rainfall total if it lasts for ten days days than it will if it lasts for six days.

Likes berkeman
I think it is more complex than that, because the longer a cyclone lives the more it is also exposed to
things that can tear it apart.
From what I have seen precipitation intensities does not increase,
(thank goodness it is bad enough already). They calculated the possible rainfall totals for Hurricane Harvey,
the Friday before the storm moved over the Houston area, based on the speed of the storm.
100/speed of the storm in miles per hour=possible rainfall
In Harvey's case 100/2 miles per hour=50 inches of rain.
Technically I only measured 48 inches at my house, but there was some error in my measurements.
This same rule of thumb applies to storms that took 10 days to cross the Atlantic and Tropical storms that formed a few days before.

Imolopa said:
When the total lifetime of an extratropical cyclone over the ocean in the Northern Atlantic-region gets longer (within the same season):
Extratropical cyclones or cold core cyclones are essentially low pressure frontal systems.
Do you mean tropical cyclones?

1. What is the relationship between the lifetime of a cyclone and its precipitation?

The lifetime of a cyclone can affect its precipitation in several ways. Generally, the longer a cyclone lasts, the more precipitation it is able to produce. This is because a longer lifetime allows for more moisture to be pulled into the cyclone and more time for the cyclone to interact with other weather systems, leading to increased precipitation.

2. How does the intensity of a cyclone change as its lifetime increases?

The intensity of a cyclone can vary throughout its lifetime, but generally increases as the cyclone matures and reaches its peak. This is due to the combination of factors such as warm ocean waters, low vertical wind shear, and favorable atmospheric conditions that allow the cyclone to strengthen and sustain itself. As the cyclone's lifetime comes to an end, its intensity will typically decrease as it moves over cooler waters and encounters less favorable conditions.

3. Can a shorter or longer lifetime of a cyclone impact its precipitation and intensity differently?

Yes, the lifetime of a cyclone can have varying impacts on its precipitation and intensity depending on the specific conditions and environment it encounters. A shorter lifetime may limit the amount of moisture and time available for the cyclone to produce precipitation, resulting in lower amounts. On the other hand, a longer lifetime may allow the cyclone to reach its peak intensity and produce higher amounts of precipitation before weakening.

4. How does the location of a cyclone's formation affect its lifetime and subsequent precipitation and intensity?

The location of a cyclone's formation can play a significant role in its lifetime and precipitation and intensity. Cyclones that form in regions with warm ocean temperatures and low vertical wind shear tend to have longer lifetimes and produce more precipitation. Conversely, cyclones that form in cooler waters and encounter higher wind shear may have shorter lifetimes and produce less precipitation.

5. Is there a correlation between the lifetime of a cyclone and its impact on land?

While there is not a direct correlation, the lifetime of a cyclone can impact its potential impact on land. A longer lifetime may mean the cyclone has more time to intensify and produce stronger winds and heavier precipitation, leading to a greater impact on land. However, other factors such as the track and size of the cyclone also play a significant role in its impact on land.