How does light illuminate objects? (help me in a debate)

• Thread starter General_Sax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: Well you would need a well-chosen gas.. in that case, you could cram, say, 20 projectors into one encasing and walla - hologram!
General_Sax
How does light "illuminate" objects? (help me in a debate)

Hello,

I'm curious as to how light illuminates an object. To be more specific how does light allow give an outline to a body?

Can an seemingly physical object be visible to the naked eye and at the same time be non-physical? I know this seems like a nonsensical question, but I'm having a debate with a person and need 'backup' so to speak. I'm trying to make the claim that if a non-physical entity is visible, then the object can not be non-physical, because the wavelength of the light would not be interrupted.

If anyone can provide a link or source I would appreciate it greatly.

I know that the wavelength of the light an object is viewed under is somehow a limiting factor in resolution. However, I'm not sure if this relates to my question or not.

P.S. I may have made spelling mistakes, but I'm in a rush, so please forgive me.

Science news on Phys.org

A "seemingly physical object" such as a... ?

A "non-physical entity" such as a... ?

Light bounces off of objects that are not transparent/translucent and your eye receives the light and process it to form a visual image.

It is possible to have an "invisible" object that is 100% real, but that would involve a variety of tricks and optical effects.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by a non-physical entity? Non physical to me implies that it has no substance, it isn't made up of matter or energy, as both are physical to me. In the context of physics and science, there isn't anything that can exist and be non-physical.

Now if you want to talk about ghosts or something, that is not in the realm of science and no one can give you an answer for.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
A "seemingly physical object" such as a... ?

A "non-physical entity" such as a... ?

It's a long story...

Thanks Drakkith.

Light can be generated directly or reflected off of material objects with varying wavelength absorption and reflection. Lightning or sparks, for example are visible but not because light is reflecting off matter. Likewise, a flame (I believe) is visible because the radiation emitted by the combustion is refracting around the air as it rises turbulently, so that is in one sense physical in that the air is physical, but it's not like the light of the flame is generated by the air itself. Actually, I might be wrong and it is the combustion of flammable gasses themselves as they rise that create the visible flame. Maybe someone else can clear this up.

What about a rainbow, though? Rainbows are caused by an array of water-droplets acting as prisms. So, although there are physical water droplets involved, the bands of color visible are not the droplets themselves, b/c from another angle they would not appear.

I think he means like a holographic projection.
holograph-final-1.jpg

such things are impossible, i believe

Certainly impossible with only one projector.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Certainly impossible with only one projector.

How would it be possible, even with a million projectors, if you were, say, in a vacuum?

Holography, mirages, and other optical tricks are all caused by physical phenomena. Now, I'm assuming a "Non-Physical Entity" is something like a ghost?

thehacker3 said:
How would it be possible, even with a million projectors, if you were, say, in a vacuum?

It should be possible to do some elementary shapes with a well-chosen gas, and a few intersecting, well-shaped beams (at least a cube!).

Anyway, here's something nice:

http://www.optigone.com/3D_hologram.htm
http://www.tradeshowhologram.com/video.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr Lots-o'watts said:
It should be possible to do some elementary shapes with a well-chosen gas, and a few intersecting, well-shaped beams (at least a cube!).

Anyway, here's something nice:

http://www.optigone.com/3D_hologram.htm
http://www.tradeshowhologram.com/video.html

Well you would need a well-chosen gas.. in that case, you could cram, say, 20 projectors into one encasing and walla - hologram

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does light illuminate objects?

Light illuminates objects by reflecting off of their surfaces. When light hits an object, some of it is absorbed and some of it is reflected. The reflected light is what allows us to see the object.

2. How does the color of an object affect the way it is illuminated by light?

The color of an object affects the way it is illuminated by light because different colors absorb and reflect light in different ways. For example, a red object appears red because it absorbs all colors of light except for red, which it reflects back to our eyes.

3. Can light illuminate objects in complete darkness?

No, light cannot illuminate objects in complete darkness. In order for an object to be illuminated, there must be a source of light present. In complete darkness, there is no light source for objects to reflect off of.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the way an object is illuminated?

The intensity of light, or the amount of light that is present, can affect the way an object is illuminated. Objects in brighter light appear more vivid and detailed, while objects in low light may appear darker and less defined.

5. Why do some objects appear to glow or emit light?

Some objects appear to glow or emit light because they are sources of light themselves. This can be seen in objects like light bulbs or fire, where the light is coming from within the object. Other objects may appear to glow due to chemical reactions, such as in glow-in-the-dark materials.