How Does Momentum Translate in Quantum Mechanics?

=0}^\infty\frac{(i\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})^n}{n!}|\vec{x}\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-1)^ni^n p^n}{n!}|\vec{x}\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(-i\vec{p})^n}{n!}|\vec{x}\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(i\vec{p})^n}{n!}|\vec{x}\rangle = \exp(i\vec{p} \cdot \vec{x})|\vec{x}\rangle = |\vec{x}
Karliski

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

[tex]|\vec{p}\rangle = \exp\left[i\vec{p} \cdot \hat{\vec{x}} / \hbar\right] |\vec{p}=\vec{0}\rangle[/tex]

Where [tex]|\vec{p}\rangle[/tex] is any eigenstate of the momentum operator [tex]\hat{\vec{p}}[/tex].

Homework Equations

See above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess one has to follow the same argument as when one shows that momentum is the generator of translation. Would this mean that position is the generator of momentum?

When following the argument, one ends up with:

[tex]|\vec{p} + \vec{p}'\rangle = e^{-i \hat{\vec{K}} \cdot \vec{p}}' |\vec{p}[/tex]

I just chose the 'translation' operator as [tex]\hat{K}[/tex] again, not to be confused with the one when working with translation of position. I don't really know if this argument will carry on to prove the result or how to do it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your proof.

First, let's clarify some notation. In quantum mechanics, we often use the bra-ket notation to represent states and operators. In this notation, |\vec{p}\rangle represents the eigenstate of the momentum operator \hat{\vec{p}} with momentum \vec{p}. The operator \hat{\vec{x}} is the position operator and \hbar is the reduced Planck constant.

Now, to prove the given statement, we need to show that |\vec{p}\rangle can be written as \exp\left[i\vec{p} \cdot \hat{\vec{x}} / \hbar\right] |\vec{p}=\vec{0}\rangle. To do this, we will use the fact that \hat{\vec{p}} is the generator of translations in position space. This means that applying the operator \exp\left[i\vec{p} \cdot \hat{\vec{x}} / \hbar\right] to the state |\vec{p}=\vec{0}\rangle will give us a state |\vec{p}\rangle with momentum \vec{p}.

To see this, let's consider the action of \hat{\vec{p}} on a position eigenstate |\vec{x}\rangle. We know that \hat{\vec{p}}|\vec{x}\rangle = -i\hbar \vec{\nabla}|\vec{x}\rangle = \vec{p}|\vec{x}\rangle, where \vec{\nabla} is the gradient operator. This means that the state \hat{\vec{p}}|\vec{x}\rangle is an eigenstate of the momentum operator with momentum \vec{p}.

Now, let's apply the operator \exp\left[i\vec{p} \cdot \hat{\vec{x}} / \hbar\right] to the state |\vec{x}\rangle. We get:

\exp\left[i\vec{p} \cdot \hat{\vec{x}} / \hbar\right]|\vec{x}\rangle = \sum_{n=0}^\infty\frac{(i\vec{p} \cdot \hat{\vec{x}} / \hbar)^n}{n!}|\vec{x}\rangle = \sum_{n

Related to How Does Momentum Translate in Quantum Mechanics?

What is translation of momentum?

Translation of momentum is the principle that describes the conservation of momentum in a system when there are no external forces acting on it. It states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, meaning that if one object gains momentum, another object must lose an equal amount of momentum.

What is the formula for translation of momentum?

The formula for translation of momentum is p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass of the object, and v is its velocity. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant.

How is translation of momentum related to Newton's Third Law?

Translation of momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when two objects interact, the momentum of the first object will be transferred to the second object, while an equal and opposite momentum will be transferred to the first object.

What are some real-life examples of translation of momentum?

There are many real-life examples of translation of momentum, such as when a moving billiard ball collides with another stationary ball, the momentum of the first ball is transferred to the second ball, causing it to move. Another example is when a rocket is launched, the momentum of the exhaust gases is transferred to the rocket, propelling it forward.

How does the conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

In collisions, the total momentum of the system remains constant, meaning that the sum of the momentums of the objects before the collision is equal to the sum of the momentums after the collision. This is because in a closed system, there are no external forces acting on the objects, so the total momentum must remain constant.