How Does Observation Influence the Reality of the Universe Before Observers?

• Thread starter NWO
  • Start date
In summary: I don't really know how to put this... Anyway, the assumption of the MWI is that the wavefunction is the best description of the system, and that it doesn't matter if the wavefunction is real or not. This is an assumption, and as long as you remember that it's an assumption, you're fine.
Dmitry67 said:
Frederik, SR is giving a hint that block time idea is true, because the notion of "now" is relative to the observer. And without block time I don't know how GR's Closed Time-like loops can be interpreted.
I know, but you started talking about these things in response to Count Iblis, who was talking about something completely different. My point was (and still is) that what you said in reply to his comment, and what you're still saying, has nothing at all to do with what he said.

Dmitry67 said:
But I am confused by what you wrote about 'now'. NOW is an illusion. NOW is very important concept for consciousness, but I doubt you can assign any physical meaning that on t axis breaks the symmetry dividing time into 'past', 'now', and 'future'.
I'm confused by your confusion. I didn't do anything like that, and I don't know why you're talking about these things. I was talking about the value of a curve [itex]\psi:\mathbb R\rightarrow\mathcal H[/itex] at a point in its domain. I chose to call that point "now", but if you prefer we can call it "t" instead.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fredrik, thank you for the clarifications on quantum logic!

Dmitry67 said:
99.999% of the 13 billion years after the Big Bang there were no intelligent beings
So, what Cosmology is studying? :)

Cosmology is studying whatever wavefunctions are collapsed into what you call 'reality'(that obviously includes 'memories' from the past). Even if you brought up a camcorder with a recorded tape from before there had been life on Earth, someone/something has to collapse the measurement device(camcorder's) own wavefunction to a state from which you'd assume time flowing was real and dinosaurs lived in the past, not in the present. In my perspective, the final triggering device(the objectifier) is always inside your head. "Objects" as we are accustomed to label the entities in our experience that have strictly defined properties - mass, dimensions, time, etc., do not exist. The closest term that evades being misleading is to call these "objects" - "events".
It's hardly surprising that QCD calculations indicate nearly all(if not all) of the mass of matter comes from virtual particles.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16095-its-confirmed-matter-is-merely-vacuum-fluctuations.html

Last edited: