1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does phase affect the Nyquist Diagram - imaginary axis, how should it look?

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    Please consider

I agree with all notes made on that slide, but I don't actually get how they constructed the diagram from that? I understand that they line represents frequency so going to 0 to infinity means the line would travel from -0.5 to 0, but HOW DO THEY KNOW what the size values the curve peak at on the imaginary axis???

Further, it says phase decreases from -180 to -270, I agree from the transfer function, but how does this look on the Nyquist diagram? How does phase affect the Nyquist diagram?

EDIT: Apologies if this may seem like a double post
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2

Staff: Mentor

Perhaps you should consider reducing the given transfer function into real and imaginary components. So then:
    [tex]\frac{1}{(jω + 1)(jω + 2)(jω - 1)} = \frac{-2}{(1 + ω^2)(4 + ω^2)} + j\frac{ω}{(1 + ω^2)(4 + ω^2)} [/tex]
    This should help pick out any particular relationships or extrema of the real and imaginary components, as well as phase relationships since ##\phi = tan^{-1}(Im/Re)##.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?