How Does Quantum Mechanics Explain Pressure Exerted by a Particle in a Box?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle in a box of length L and its state specified by three integers. The force exerted by the particle on a wall perpendicular to the direction of change is given by -∂E/∂L, where E is the energy of the particle. The wave function and energy equation for the particle are also mentioned. The person is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem of determining the force using Ehrenfest's theorem or the Heisenberg picture.
homology

Homework Statement

Suppose you have a particle in a box of length L (a cube). Suppose a particle is in a given state specified by three integers n1,n2,n3. By considering how this state must change when the length of the cube is changed in one direction, show that the force exerted by the particle in this state on a wall perpendicular to the direction of change is given by [itex]-\partial E/\partial L[\latex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the potential to be zero within the cube and infinite at the boundaries and putting the origin at one of the corners I can get a wave function:

[itex] \psi(x,y,z)=\sqrt{\frac{8}{L^3}}\sin(w_1 x)\sin(w_2 y)\sin(w_3 z) [\latex]

where the frequency the sine functions have the usual dependence (infinite well) on the integers n1,n2,and n3. The energy is the sum of the energies from each 'component':

[itex] E=\frac{2\pi^2 \hbar^2}{mL^3}(n_1^2+n_2^2+n_3^2) [\latex]

I'm stuck conceptually. I've never thought about force in quantum. Here are my thoughts which i haven't fully explored because I don't have enough time in a day to explore all these. Hopefully one of you can provide a little nudge in the correct direction?

I want to talk about forces and so I have two ideas: Ehrenfest's theorem and the Heisenberg picture. Can I attack this problem by looking at the change in <p>? I should say that I'm assuming I approach this from the force end of things and shake out the partial of E wrt L. Or should I think about moving to the Heisenberg picture and talk about the time evolution of the momentum operator?

Thanks in advance!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
damn my latex didn't render. I apologize. I can fix that if anyone let's me know what I messed up.

Related to How Does Quantum Mechanics Explain Pressure Exerted by a Particle in a Box?

What is pressure in quantum mechanics?

Pressure in quantum mechanics is a measure of the force exerted by a system on its surroundings. In the context of quantum mechanics, it refers to the collective effect of the particles in a quantum system and their interactions.

How is pressure calculated in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, pressure is calculated using the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely a particle's position is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known. This uncertainty in momentum can be used to calculate the pressure of a system.

How is pressure related to temperature in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, temperature and pressure are related through the ideal gas law. This law states that the product of pressure and volume is proportional to the product of the number of particles and the temperature of the system. As the temperature of a quantum system increases, so does its pressure.

What is the significance of pressure in quantum mechanics?

Pressure is an important concept in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles in a system. It also plays a crucial role in determining the thermodynamic properties of a quantum system and is used in various calculations and experiments.

Can pressure in quantum mechanics be negative?

Yes, pressure in quantum mechanics can be negative. This is due to the fact that particles in a quantum system can exert attractive forces on each other, resulting in a negative pressure. This is in contrast to classical mechanics, where pressure is always positive.