How does space-time curvature affect light?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of warped space around black holes and how it affects light. The question is whether light is sucked into the black hole or simply caught in the warped space. The expert explains that gravity is the cause of warped spacetime and that light travels in straight lines, but can be bent by the curvature of space. They also clarify that the effects of warped space can only be seen in extreme conditions, and that the sun's gravitational field is not strong enough to make light disappear. At the event horizon of a black hole, however, the strong curvature of spacetime causes all paths of light to lead inward, making it impossible for light to escape.
lynchmob72
If space is warped around heavy objects in space, i feel that space would be FUBAR around black holes. So, my question is, Does light get sucked in by gravity, or does it just get caught in the warped space around a black hole?

Science news on Phys.org
lynchmob72 said:
If space is warped around heavy objects in space, i feel that space would be FUBAR around black holes. So, my question is, Does light get sucked in by gravity, or does it just get caught in the warped space around a black hole?
Gravity IS the "warped spacetime".

phinds said:
Gravity IS the "warped spacetime".
Well, I understand that gravity is space pushing on you (Thanks to Relativity). My problem is, Light travels in a straight line. Warped space will bend light, but not make it disappear. I know that a black hole funnels space to the center or singularity, but i also know that warped space can't hold light. When the solar eclipse that proved Relativity happened, light traveled through warped space, then came out of it so we could see it. It should have wrapped around the sun, but it didn't. So, i wonder.

lynchmob72 said:
It should have wrapped around the sun,
"around"? The path of the light and the mass / diameter of the Sun would only produce a slight warping effect, which is what was seen. These effects are all a matter of degree and mostly cannot be seen at all because the conditions are not extreme enough.

lynchmob72 said:
My problem is, Light travels in a straight line. Warped space will bend light, but not make it disappear. I know that a black hole funnels space to the center or singularity, but i also know that warped space can't hold light. When the solar eclipse that proved Relativity happened, light traveled through warped space, then came out of it so we could see it. It should have wrapped around the sun, but it didn't.

Yes, light travels in a "straight" line, and curvature can mean these straight lines aren't really straight (rather as a straight line on the curved surface of the Earth will bend as it follows that curved surface).

The sun is not a black hole; its gravitational field is just strong enough to bend the path off to one side a bit. That's what Eddington's group observed in the solar eclipse (and we have since seen many more spectacular examples - google for "gravitational lensing").

The spacetime curvature near a black hole is so strong that at the event horizon all the straight-line paths that light can follow ("light-like geodesics" or "null geodesics" in the lingo) lead inwards. At the event horizon light cannot escape because there is no path out; move at the speed of light in any direction and you'll still end up inside the black hole.

Thank you for the replies.

1. How does space-time curvature affect the path of light?

Space-time curvature, caused by the presence of massive objects, can bend the path of light. This is known as gravitational lensing, and it can cause light to follow a curved trajectory around massive objects instead of traveling in a straight line.

2. Does space-time curvature affect the speed of light?

No, space-time curvature does not affect the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and independent of the curvature of space-time.

3. Can space-time curvature cause light to travel in circles?

Yes, under certain conditions, space-time curvature can cause light to travel in circular paths. This is known as gravitational lensing, and it occurs when light is bent by the strong gravitational pull of a massive object, such as a black hole.

4. How does space-time curvature affect the color of light?

Space-time curvature does not directly affect the color of light. However, it can cause the path of light to bend, which can lead to the phenomenon of gravitational redshift or blueshift. This is when the wavelength of light is stretched or compressed, resulting in a change in color.

5. Can space-time curvature affect the perception of time for light?

Yes, space-time curvature can affect the perception of time for light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is relative and can be affected by the curvature of space-time. This means that the path of light may appear to take longer or shorter to observers depending on the strength of the gravitational field it is traveling through.