How Does The Electron Gain Its Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the origins of mass for different particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. It is explained that fermions gain their mass from the Higgs mechanism, specifically through Yukawa couplings to the Higgs field. The specific case of quarks is mentioned, with some uncertainty about the contributions to their mass from confinement and QCD corrections. The role of the Higgs field in giving mass to gauge bosons is also mentioned. Additionally, the conversation touches on the minimum mass of a charged fermion in QED and its relation to the self-energy. Finally, the conversation concludes with a clarification that it is not quark mass, but the mass of hadrons, that is mainly affected by QCD radiative corrections
I started thinking about this in answering a question on the QM forum on getting the speed of light from QED. Its a massless boson so must travel at the speed of light. Then I recalled that bosons can gain mass from the Higgs so the real reason is the photon doesn't interact with the Higgs.

But then it started me thinking - the electron isn't a Boson - so exactly how does it get its mass.

Thanks
Bill

Physics news on Phys.org
All fundamental fermions in the Standard Model get their masses from the Higgs mechanism (except neutrinos). There is a Yukawa coupling between each fermion field and the Higgs field, and when the Higgs field adopts a vacuum expectation value this generates an effective mass term for each fermion.

See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukawa_interaction#Spontaneous_symmetry_breaking

Thanks for the answer much appreciated.

But do quarks gain their mass that way?

I thought they got it from confinement? Or does some of it also come from the Higgs? If so how much?

I am pretty sure I could Google the answer but sometimes sorting the truth from crank rubbish is a bit difficult.

Thanks
Bill

Well certainly quarks have Yukawa couplings to the Higgs field exactly like electrons, and the top quark is the heaviest fermion because it has the largest Yukawa coupling, so it couples the strongest to the Higgs, which is why top quarks are important for Higgs physics. But I don't remember exactly what the correct thing to say regarding QCD contributions to quark masses is. Certainly there should be QCD corrections to quark masses. I think one gets into various difficulties because there are various ways to define what the mass of a quark "is", since we don't measure "free" quarks. Someone else will have to fill in the details here :).

Likes bhobba
Already answered... The gauge bosons gain their mass because of the SSB and Higgs Mechanism.. The fermions gain their mass because of their yukawa coupling to Higgs field and Higgs field's vev and radiative corrections.
All the gauge bosons interact with the Higgs field before the SSB. The photon is just a configuration of them which appears with zero mass eigenvalue (and corresponds to the remaining unbroken U(1) local symmetry).

Quarks gain their mass that way. I am not sure about confinement, but it doesn't refer to quarks but to hadrons. The hadrons mainly gain their masses because of QCD radiative corrections.

There is also a hand-waving argument about the minimum mass that a charged fermion should be expected to have in QED, from the self-energy, and it happens to be of the same order that the electron mass.

ChrisVer said:
The hadrons mainly gain their masses because of QCD radiative corrections.

Ahhh. That jogged my memory - its not quark mass - its the mass of things like protons.

Much appreciated.

Thanks
Bill

Related to How Does The Electron Gain Its Mass

1. What is the role of the Higgs boson in the mass of electrons?

The Higgs boson is a subatomic particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles, including electrons. It does this by interacting with the Higgs field, a theoretical field that permeates the entire universe.

2. How does the Higgs field give mass to electrons?

The Higgs field interacts with particles like electrons, giving them a resistance to motion which we experience as mass. This resistance is similar to the way that objects moving through water experience resistance due to the water's viscosity.

3. Can electrons exist without mass?

No, electrons cannot exist without mass. The mass of an electron is an intrinsic property of the particle and is necessary for its existence.

4. What is the relationship between mass and energy in electrons?

According to Einstein's famous equation E=mc², mass and energy are interchangeable. This means that the energy of an electron is directly related to its mass. The more massive an electron is, the more energy it has.

5. How do scientists study the mass of electrons?

Scientists study the mass of electrons through experiments, such as colliding particles at high speeds in particle accelerators. By analyzing the results of these experiments, scientists can determine the mass of electrons and study the interactions between particles that give them mass.