How does the formula C-6 come about in the following image?

In summary, the principle of superposition is a powerful tool in solving differential equations, and its application to Fourier transforms allows us to find solutions using an infinite number of plane waves.
weezy
tann.JPG

Likes Zacarias Nason
Physics news on Phys.org
Via the principle of superposition ... where did it lose you?
C-6 is just summing up all the independent solutions already found...

Do you know anything about Fourier transformation and how you can use it for PDEs?

Simon Bridge said:
Via the principle of superposition ... where did it lose you?
C-6 is just summing up all the independent solutions already found...
I meant why does the superposition look like this? i.e. a Fourier transform?

Likes Zacarias Nason
dextercioby said:
Do you know anything about Fourier transformation and how you can use it for PDEs?
I do know about Fourier transforms but am not familiar with their relation to PDEs

Likes Zacarias Nason
weezy said:
I meant why does the superposition look like this?

A superposition of two plane waves looks like this: $$\psi(\vec r, t) = g_1 e^{i(\vec k_1 \cdot \vec r - \omega_1 t)} + g_2 e^{i(\vec k_2 \cdot \vec r - \omega_2 t)}$$
A superposition of infinitely many (but still "countable" 1,2,3...) plane waves looks like this: $$\psi(\vec r, t) = \sum_{j=0}^\infty g_j e^{i(\vec k_j \cdot \vec r - \omega_j t)}$$
Suppose the ##\omega_j## and the ##\vec k_j## can be related by ("fitted to") a continuous function ##\omega(\vec k)##. Likewise for the ##g_j## and the ##\vec k_j##, with another function ##g(\vec k)##. Then we can rewrite this slightly as $$\psi(\vec r, t) = \sum_{j=0}^\infty g(\vec k_j) e^{i(\vec k_j \cdot \vec r - \omega(\vec k_j) t)}$$
Finally, suppose we have a superposition of an "uncountably" infinite number of waves with a continuous (not discrete) distribution of values of ##\vec k##. In this case the sum becomes an integral: $$\psi(\vec r, t) = \int g(\vec k) e^{i(\vec k \cdot \vec r - \omega(\vec k) t)} d^3 k$$
This is a sort of "volume integral" in 3-dimensional ##\vec k##-space. The extra constant in front of your equation C-6 is basically a sort of normalization factor.

Last edited:
Likes Zacarias Nason

1. What is the meaning of the formula C-6 in the image?

The formula C-6 represents a carbon atom (C) bonded to six hydrogen atoms (H). It is the chemical formula for hexane, a type of hydrocarbon compound.

2. How is the formula C-6 derived?

The formula C-6 is derived from the molecular structure of hexane, which consists of a chain of six carbon atoms bonded to each other with hydrogen atoms attached to the carbon atoms. The chemical formula is a shorthand notation that represents this molecular structure.

3. Why is the formula C-6 important in chemistry?

The formula C-6 is important in chemistry because it represents a specific compound, hexane, which has a variety of industrial and laboratory applications. Understanding the molecular structure and properties of hexane is important in fields such as organic chemistry and biochemistry.

4. Can the formula C-6 be changed or modified?

Yes, the formula C-6 can be changed or modified by altering the molecular structure of hexane. This can be done by adding or removing atoms or changing the arrangement of atoms in the molecule. However, the formula will always represent a compound with six carbon atoms and an appropriate number of hydrogen atoms.

5. How does the formula C-6 relate to other hydrocarbon compounds?

The formula C-6 is just one of many possible chemical formulas for hydrocarbon compounds. Hydrocarbons are organic compounds composed of hydrogen and carbon atoms, and they can have a wide range of molecular structures and formulas. However, the formula C-6 specifically represents a compound with a chain of six carbon atoms bonded to each other, making it a type of alkane hydrocarbon.