How Does the Position of the Man Change as He Walks to the Edge of the Boat?

In summary, the question is asking for the new location of the man after he walks to the right edge of the boat. However, the man's movement also affects the movement of the boat. To solve this, it is important to consider the concept of center of mass and the effect of external and internal forces on its position. The interaction between the man and the boat is an internal force, while friction and drag are external forces that can be considered negligible in this scenario.
mohabitar
HZZj0.png

Ok this one is messing me up. I already got number one (1.28). The question now is:
After walking to the right edge of the boat, how far has the man moved form his original location (what is his new location)?

I thought it would just be simple-the distance across the boat. But apparently as the man moves, so does the boat. This is confusing me. How do I begin to solve this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
The centre of mass stays stationary if the resultant of the external forces is zero. Internal forces do not change the position of the CM. Interaction between the man and the boat is internal force, friction and drag between water and boat would be external forces but they are negligible according to the text.

ehild

Related to How Does the Position of the Man Change as He Walks to the Edge of the Boat?

1. What is the center of mass in physics?

The center of mass in physics is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. It is the point where the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass can be calculated by finding the coordinates of all the individual masses in a system and using them to determine the weighted average position of the entire system.

3. Why is the concept of center of mass important in physics?

The concept of center of mass is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion and stability of objects. It is also used in many calculations, such as determining the torque and momentum of a system.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object. This can occur when there is an uneven distribution of mass within the object, such as in a hollow or irregularly shaped object.

5. How does the center of mass affect the stability of an object?

The position of the center of mass can determine the stability of an object. An object with a lower center of mass will be more stable compared to an object with a higher center of mass. This is because a lower center of mass results in a smaller potential energy and a larger base for support.