How does the propagation of light work? How much time does it take?

In summary, photons are not particles or waves, they are quanta of the electromagnetic field. A single photon is generated when a light source emits it, but it remains a single photon unless it is interfered with. Dimming a light source can make it emit only a single photon at a time, which is useful for detecting single photon events.
lordoftheselands
I'm quite aware that according to Einstein light is a particle and a wave at the same time.

However, I try to imagine how exactly would light expand. A photon must likely have a certain timing for expansion. I mean, after a photon is originated it immedialy multiplies itself into many other photons, all of them moving in all directions so that a single photon can be seen from all directions.

Ok, now the question is: how much time does it take for a photon to multiply from a single one to many photons? And how many photons are originated?

Physics news on Phys.org
lordoftheselands said:
A photon must likely have a certain timing for expansion. I mean, after a photon is originated it immedialy multiplies itself into many other photons, all of them moving in all directions so that a single photon can be seen from all directions.
No. Photons do not expand or multiply.

The light source emits many photons over time.
It is possible to dim some light sources so much that they effectively emit only a single photon at a time. This is useful for 2-slit experiments.

lordoftheselands said:
I'm quite aware that according to Einstein light is a particle and a wave at the same time.

However, I try to imagine how exactly would light expand. A photon must likely have a certain timing for expansion. I mean, after a photon is originated it immedialy multiplies itself into many other photons, all of them moving in all directions so that a single photon can be seen from all directions.

Ok, now the question is: how much time does it take for a photon to multiply from a single one to many photons? And how many photons are originated?
Welcome to PF.

Can you post links to the reading you have been doing to understand EM and photons, etc.?

Also, are you familiar with how PMTs work, and how they can detect single photon events?

lordoftheselands said:
You mean that photons are the quanta of the electromagnetic field?
lordoftheselands said:
A photon must likely have a certain timing for expansion.
It doesn't.
lordoftheselands said:
I mean, after a photon is originated it immedialy multiplies itself into many other photons
It doesn't.
lordoftheselands said:
, all of them moving in all directions so that a single photon can be seen from all directions.
It doesn't work like this.
lordoftheselands said:
Ok, now the question is: how much time does it take for a photon to multiply from a single one to many photons?
If a single photon is generated, then typically it remains a single photon.

Likes nasu
One should abandon the idea of photons in physics learning (and teaching!) as long as the students do not have a clear understanding of the classical picture. Photons are among the most complicated concepts of modern physics and can only be properly understood in terms of relativistic quantum field theory. Einstein's heuristic concept of photons as localized massless point particles of 1905 is seriously flawed, and Einstein himself never has been satisfied with any conception of em. radiation during his lifetime. Famously he also was very skeptical against modern quantum mechanics, including relativistic QFT, which in 1955 however was much less understood than it is today, and even today it's not a complete mathematically well-defined theory.

Likes Klystron, nasu, Lord Jestocost and 1 other person
DaveC426913 said:
It is possible to dim some light sources so much that they effectively emit only a single photon at a time. This is useful for 2-slit experiments.
Even a dim light source might emit two or more photons at the same time.

berkeman said:
Also, are you familiar with how PMTs work ...
For clarification, I believe @berkeman is referring to the photomultiplier tube, not pre-menstrual tension.

• Haha
Likes berkeman

1. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space as a wave, known as an electromagnetic wave. This means that it does not require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through. It can travel through a vacuum, like space, at a speed of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How does light interact with matter?

When light encounters matter, it can either be reflected, absorbed, or transmitted. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, such as a mirror. Absorption happens when light is absorbed by the material and converted into heat energy. Transmission occurs when light passes through a material, such as a window.

3. What is the difference between visible light and other types of electromagnetic radiation?

Visible light is just one small portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which includes all types of electromagnetic radiation. Visible light is the only type that is visible to the human eye, while others, such as radio waves, microwaves, and X-rays, are invisible to us.

4. How long does it take for light to travel from one point to another?

The speed of light is constant, so the time it takes for light to travel from one point to another depends on the distance between the two points. For example, it takes about 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach Earth, while it takes about 4.3 years for light from the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, to reach Earth.

5. What factors can affect the speed of light?

The speed of light is affected by the medium it is traveling through. In a vacuum, light travels at its maximum speed of 299,792,458 meters per second. However, when traveling through a material, such as air or water, it can slow down. Additionally, the wavelength and frequency of light can also affect its speed.