How does the time dilation equation work?

In summary, the article linked discusses length contraction and time dilation. The author found an error in how he wrote the equations and solved it using the correct transformation.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi all!
I've been doing some studying length contraction and time dilation and I came across this link http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html . I completely understand what it did with length contraction but when I got to time dilation I couldn't figure out one thing. They appeared to be using the equation t=(t'+vx'/c2)γ, but I thought that the equation was t'=(t+vx/c2)γ. Using that equation I got T=T0/γ and not T=T0γ, but I know that is wrong. Can you please help me understand this?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
To invert the Lorentz transformation, you just flip the sign of v. So the two equations you wrote are equivalent except that to make them consistent with each other you would need to replace v with -v in one of them.

Likes Isaac0427
bcrowell said:
To invert the Lorentz transformation, you just flip the sign of v. So the two equations you wrote are equivalent except that to make them consistent with each other you would need to replace v with -v in one of them.
Ok, but then wouldn't you have to flip the sign of the velocity in the γ term?

Isaac0427 said:
I thought that the equation was t'=(t+vx/c2)γ. Using that equation I got T=T0/γ and not T=T0γ, but I know that is wrong. Can you please help me understand this?
Thanks!

You, and the article you linked, are not using consistent notation. The proper time is the time elapsed in a frame of reference where the change in position is zero. Let's start with your equation ##t'=(t+\frac{vx}{c^2}) \gamma##. If we set ##x=0## that makes ##t## a proper time (assuming a reference event at (0,0), as usual). Thus we have ##t'=t \gamma##.

Note that the transformation equation you wrote assumes the primed frame is moving to the left relative to the unprimed frame, which is not the usual convention. The usual convention is the opposite, so that ##t'=(t-\frac{vx}{c^2}) \gamma##, but in this case it doesn't matter.

And changing the sign of ##v## does not change the sign of ##\gamma##.

Likes Isaac0427
Isaac0427 said:
They appeared to be using the equation t=(t'+vx'/c2)γ, but I thought that the equation was t'=(t+vx/c2)γ.
They're same equation except that they're saying t' and x' where most people would say t and x, and vice versa. You could do something similar with the quadratic formula from first-year algebra that says that the solution to the equation ##ax^2+bx+c=0## is ##\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}##; just say that the solution to the equation ##cx^2+bx+a=0## is ##\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2c}## - it looks different but that's just because we're playing games with the names of two of the variables.

Using that equation I got T=T0/γ and not T=T0γ
If you flip which coordinates are the primed ones, you also have to flip which time interval is labeled ##T## and which is ##T_0##. You ended up with the right result using the weird convention in which ##T## and ##T_0## have been flipped.

Likes Isaac0427
Ok, so first of all, there was a mistake in my original post. I said t'=t+vx/c2 and x'=x+vt instead of t'=t-vx/c2 and x'=x-vt. Using this here's my thinking:
Let T=t2-t1, T0=t'2-t'1, L=x2-x1 and L0=x'2-x'1. Using this and the Lorentz transformations, I got T0=Tγ assuming x1=x2 and L0=Lγ assuming t1=t2, which would also give me T=T0/γ and L=L0/γ.
What did I do wrong?

Ok, so after reviewing this it appears to me that you get a different answer if you use the regular Lorentz transformation than if you use the inverse Lorentz transformation. Is this correct? If yes, how do you know which one to use?

Using this and the Lorentz transformations, I got T0=Tγ assuming x1=x2 and L0=Lγ assuming t1=t2, which would also give me T=T0/γ and L=L0/γ.
What did I do wrong?

Proper time is the time elapsed in the frame where the change in position is zero.

Isaac0427 said:
Ok, so after reviewing this it appears to me that you get a different answer if you use the regular Lorentz transformation than if you use the inverse Lorentz transformation. Is this correct? If yes, how do you know which one to use?

It's great you're learning SR, but I'd say you should try to sharpen up your mathematical thinking a little. You know which transformation to use from the way you set up your problem. You must choose a direction to be positive. (Keeping this to motion in one dimension). Then, if you have an object moving, it has either a positive or negative velocity. Likewise, a reference frame can be moving in the positive or negative directions.

Any formula, including the Lorentz Transformation (LT), depends on these things. You can't just apply any formula without checking that the formula applies to the way you have set up your problem. It's no different from, say, knowing when to take gravity to be positive (when down is the positive direction) and negative (when up is the positive direction).

Take a look at the way the LT is derived/defined and note the assumptions that relate one frame (normally unprimed) with another frame (normally primed, S' or whatever). If you do that, you'll see when to use the LT and when to use the "inverse" LT.

Likes Isaac0427
PeroK said:
It's great you're learning SR, but I'd say you should try to sharpen up your mathematical thinking a little. You know which transformation to use from the way you set up your problem. You must choose a direction to be positive. (Keeping this to motion in one dimension). Then, if you have an object moving, it has either a positive or negative velocity. Likewise, a reference frame can be moving in the positive or negative directions.

Any formula, including the Lorentz Transformation (LT), depends on these things. You can't just apply any formula without checking that the formula applies to the way you have set up your problem. It's no different from, say, knowing when to take gravity to be positive (when down is the positive direction) and negative (when up is the positive direction).

Take a look at the way the LT is derived/defined and note the assumptions that relate one frame (normally unprimed) with another frame (normally primed, S' or whatever). If you do that, you'll see when to use the LT and when to use the "inverse" LT.
So if I am understanding you correctly, it is completely based on the situation. I was just wondering if there is some mathematical reason to use one or the other.

Isaac0427 said:
So if I am understanding you correctly, it is completely based on the situation. I was just wondering if there is some mathematical reason to use one or the other.

The usual Lorentz Transformation is:

##t' = \gamma (t - vx/c^2)## and ##x' = \gamma (x - vt)##

This relates the coordinates of time ##t'## and distance ##x'## for a frame moving at velocity ##v## with respect to another frame. There are three important points: the frames have a common origin: ##t = 0, x = 0## corresponds to ##t' = 0, x' = 0##; the positive ##x/x'## direction is the same for both frames; and, ##v## is positive if the motion of the "moving" frame is in the positive x-direction.

For example. If ##v = c/2## then this means the moving frame is moving to the right (positive x-direction), In this case you have:

##t' = \gamma (t - x/2c)## and ##x' = \gamma (x - ct/2)##

The "inverse" LT is:

##t = \gamma (t' + vx'/c^2)## and ##x = \gamma (x' + vt')##

This gives the ##t, x## coordinates in terms of ##t', x'##. In the same set-up as above.

Now, you can see this two ways. The quick way is to note that you can consider the unprimed frame as moving to the left with respect to the primed (') frame. So, you just apply the normal LT equation using ##-(-v) = +v## instead of ##-v## and swap the roles of the coordinates (my first suggestion is that you think that through).

For example. If ##v = c/2## you have:

##t = \gamma (t' + x'/2c)## and ##x = \gamma (x' + ct'/2)##

The second way is to do the algebra and rearrange the LT equations to express ##t', x'## in terms of ##t, x##. This will confirm the quick way. My second suggestion is that you do that too. It's a good algebraic exercise if nothing else.

You can see now in the hyperphysics page that they were simply using the inverse LT to relate coordinates in the "moving" frame to coordinates in the "rest" frame. And that the set-up on that page is as I described it above.

Likes Isaac0427
PeroK said:
The usual Lorentz Transformation is:

##t' = \gamma (t - vx/c^2)## and ##x' = \gamma (x - vt)##

This relates the coordinates of time ##t'## and distance ##x'## for a frame moving at velocity ##v## with respect to another frame. There are three important points: the frames have a common origin: ##t = 0, x = 0## corresponds to ##t' = 0, x' = 0##; the positive ##x/x'## direction is the same for both frames; and, ##v## is positive if the motion of the "moving" frame is in the positive x-direction.

For example. If ##v = c/2## then this means the moving frame is moving to the right (positive x-direction), In this case you have:

##t' = \gamma (t - x/2c)## and ##x' = \gamma (x - ct/2)##

The "inverse" LT is:

##t = \gamma (t' + vx'/c^2)## and ##x = \gamma (x' + vt')##

This gives the ##t, x## coordinates in terms of ##t', x'##. In the same set-up as above.

Now, you can see this two ways. The quick way is to note that you can consider the unprimed frame as moving to the left with respect to the primed (') frame. So, you just apply the normal LT equation using ##-(-v) = +v## instead of ##-v## and swap the roles of the coordinates (my first suggestion is that you think that through).

For example. If ##v = c/2## you have:

##t = \gamma (t' + x'/2c)## and ##x = \gamma (x' + ct'/2)##

The second way is to do the algebra and rearrange the LT equations to express ##t', x'## in terms of ##t, x##. This will confirm the quick way. My second suggestion is that you do that too. It's a good algebraic exercise if nothing else.

You can see now in the hyperphysics page that they were simply using the inverse LT to relate coordinates in the "moving" frame to coordinates in the "rest" frame. And that the set-up on that page is as I described it above.
Ok, I completely understand this. My only question is why do you use the regular transformation for length contraction and the inverse transformation for time dilation.

Isaac0427 said:
Ok, I completely understand this. My only question is why do you use the regular transformation for length contraction and the inverse transformation for time dilation.

It depends what they are trying to do. That page doesn't have much explanation, so it's maybe not a good place to learn. Especially the length contraction needs a bit more explanation. Over to Mister T ...

Isaac0427 said:
My only question is why do you use the regular transformation for length contraction and the inverse transformation for time dilation.

You can use either transformation to derive either effect. You originally asked about a confusion over time dilation, so let's look at that. (Assume a reference event at ##(0,0)## as usual).

Consider the transformation equation ##t'=(t-\frac{vx}{c^2}) \gamma##. If I let ##x=0## then ##t## is by definition a proper time and ##t'=t \gamma##.

Consider the inverse transformation equation ##t=(t'+\frac{vx'}{c^2}) \gamma##. If I let ##x'=0## then ##t'## is by definition a proper time and ##t=t' \gamma##.

In all cases you multiply the proper time by ##\gamma## to get the dilated time. Since ##\gamma \geq 1## the dilated time is greater than or equal to the proper time.

Likes Isaac0427
Mister T said:
You can use either transformation to derive either effect. You originally asked about a confusion over time dilation, so let's look at that. (Assume a reference event at ##(0,0)## as usual).

Consider the transformation equation ##t'=(t-\frac{vx}{c^2}) \gamma##. If I let ##x=0## then ##t## is by definition a proper time and ##t'=t \gamma##.

Consider the inverse transformation equation ##t=(t'+\frac{vx'}{c^2}) \gamma##. If I let ##x'=0## then ##t'## is by definition a proper time and ##t=t' \gamma##.

In all cases you multiply the proper time by ##\gamma## to get the dilated time. Since ##\gamma \geq 1## the dilated time is greater than or equal to the proper time.
Oh, so depending on which transformation you use, either L or L0 could be proper time. This makes more sense. Thank you.

Isaac0427 said:
Oh, so depending on which transformation you use, either L or L0 could be proper time. This makes more sense. Thank you.

You can use whatever you want to refer to whatever you choose, but keep in mind that when you use nonstandard notation you have trouble communicating with others. Usually ##L## is used for a distance or length, not a time. And usually the subscript "o" refers to the proper value. So ##L_o## would be a proper length and ##t_o## would be a proper time. It's even more common to call ##\tau## the proper time.

The link in your first post is sloppy and inconsistent with its notation, first using ##\tau_o## for the proper time and then later switching to ##T_o##. This is at least a factor in your confusion if not the outright cause.

In your first post you first used ##t## and ##t'## and then later switched to ##T_o## and ##T## without any indication, let alone a clear indication, of what that change in notation meant. All of your confusion is based on the absence of that being sorting out.

Last edited:
Isaac0427 said:

I don't like the explanation for length contraction on that page. Here's how I would look at it.

Imagine we have an object moving at velocity ##v##. At ##t=0## the ends are at ##x_1## and ##x_2##. At time ##t##, therefore, the ends are at:

##(t, x_1 + vt)## and ##(t, x_2 + vt)##

And the length of the object in this frame is ##x_2 - x_1##

What are the coordinates of the two ends in a frame moving with the object at velocity ##v##?

##x_1' = \gamma (x_1 + vt - vt) = \gamma x_1##

##x_2' = \gamma (x_2 + vt - vt) = \gamma x_2##

The object is at rest in this frame (its position does not depend on ##t'##) and so the length of the object is measured as:

##x_2' - x_1' = \gamma (x_2 - x_1)##

Likes Isaac0427
PeroK said:
I don't like the explanation for length contraction on that page. Here's how I would look at it.

Imagine we have an object moving at velocity ##v##. At ##t=0## the ends are at ##x_1## and ##x_2##. At time ##t##, therefore, the ends are at:

##(t, x_1 + vt)## and ##(t, x_2 + vt)##

And the length of the object in this frame is ##x_2 - x_1##

What are the coordinates of the two ends in a frame moving with the object at velocity ##v##?

##x_1' = \gamma (x_1 + vt - vt) = \gamma x_1##

##x_2' = \gamma (x_2 + vt - vt) = \gamma x_2##

The object is at rest in this frame (its position does not depend on ##t'##) and so the length of the object is measured as:

##x_2' - x_1' = \gamma (x_2 - x_1)##
In this example x2-x1 is proper length. If the equations were
##x_1 = \gamma (x_1' + vt' - vt') = \gamma x_1##
##x_2 = \gamma (x_2' + vt' - vt') = \gamma x_2##
##x_2 - x_1 = \gamma (x_2' - x_1')##
then x'2-x'1 would be proper length, correct?

Mister T said:
You can use whatever you want to refer to whatever you choose, but keep in mind that when you use nonstandard notation you have trouble communicating with others. Usually LLL is used for a distance or length, not a time. And usually the subscript "o" refers to the proper value. So LoLoL_o would be a proper length and totot_o would be a proper time. It's even more common to call ττ\tau the proper time.
Sorry, I meant T and T0, not L and L0.

Isaac0427 said:
In this example x2-x1 is proper length. If the equations were
##x_1 = \gamma (x_1' + vt' - vt') = \gamma x_1##
##x_2 = \gamma (x_2' + vt' - vt') = \gamma x_2##
##x_2 - x_1 = \gamma (x_2' - x_1')##
then x'2-x'1 would be proper length, correct?

Not at all. Proper length is the length in a frame where the object is at rest.

PeroK said:
Not at all. Proper length is the length in a frame where the object is at rest.
I was referring to Mister T's post where he said
Mister T said:

Isaac0427 said:
I was referring to Mister T's post where he said

I don't see any reference to Mister T's post in your post. Proper length is an object's length in its rest frame.

What defintion of "proper length" are you using?

When he used the regular LT t' was proper time, and the proper time interval would then be t'2-t'1. When he used the inverse LT proper time was t and the proper time interval would be t2-t1. I then thought that when you use the regular LT for length contraction x would be proper and x2-x1 would be proper length and when you use the inverse LT x' would be proper and proper length would be x'2-x'1.

I do know that the proper frame, whether it is primed or unprimed, is at rest.

Related to How does the time dilation equation work?

1. What is the time dilation equation?

The time dilation equation, also known as the Lorentz transformation, is a mathematical formula that describes the difference in time between two reference frames moving at different velocities. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does the time dilation equation work?

The equation takes into account two variables: the velocity of an object and the speed of light. It states that time will appear to pass slower for an object that is moving at high speeds compared to an observer at rest. This effect is known as time dilation.

3. What does the time dilation equation tell us?

The time dilation equation helps us understand the effects of relativity on time. It tells us that the faster an object moves, the slower time will pass for that object. This effect becomes more significant as the object approaches the speed of light.

4. Can the time dilation equation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the time dilation equation has been observed in various experiments and has been proven to be accurate. For example, GPS satellites have to account for time dilation due to their high speeds in orbit, or else they would not function properly.

5. How can the time dilation equation be applied in different situations?

The time dilation equation is used in various fields, such as particle physics, astronomy, and space travel. It is essential in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds and in predicting their behavior in different reference frames.