How does the universe move beyond PI?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of gravity, spacetime warping, general relativity, and the irrationality of PI. The speaker acknowledges their limited knowledge in these areas and raises a question about the universe's use of PI. The response states that the universe does not need to calculate PI and that its specialness is a matter of human perception.
LeeJeffries
Hi all, very new here, sorry if this is in the wrong place, my question is related to gravity/spacetime warping and all that good stuff, so maybe general relativity

My knowledge only goes as far as 5 TTC lecture series on particle physics, quantum mechanics etc, and my maths only goes as far as A level, so the answers to most of my questions are probably in the deeper matrix calcs and wave functions and all that good stuff, so please be easy on me!

As far as I can tell there is a repeating throughout of this circle -> sphere -> circle -> sphere nature of objects, and then there is the bending of spacetime in order for planets to move in this "straight line" ditch, but if PI is irrational, how is the universe not stuck at the first time it has to calculate this infinite ratio? I mean we "use it" but we round it or use close fractions to represent it

I notice Planck's used a constant to basically kick the whole thing off which got round infinities in one sense, but this PI lark is confusing me

Probably an easy answer

Thanks
Lee

Space news on Phys.org
LeeJeffries said:
but if PI is irrational, how is the universe not stuck at the first time it has to calculate this infinite ratio? I mean we "use it" but we round it or use close fractions to represent it
The universe does not have to calculate PI. It is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its radius, a matter of geometry. It is only because humans find certain numbers difficult to calculate or comprehend that they seem special to us. The universe does not calculate (except for those parts of it which have a concept of mathematics like ourselves), it just is.

1. How does the concept of PI relate to the movement of the universe?

The concept of PI, or the mathematical constant representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, does not directly relate to the movement of the universe. However, PI is often used in calculations and formulas to understand and predict the movements of celestial bodies and objects in the universe.

2. Is PI a universal constant in the movement of the universe?

No, PI is not a universal constant in the movement of the universe. The laws of physics and the fundamental forces of nature govern the movements of the universe, and PI is simply a tool used to understand and describe these movements mathematically.

3. How do scientists measure the movement of the universe beyond PI?

Scientists use various methods and technologies to measure the movement of the universe, such as telescopes, satellites, and mathematical models. These tools allow them to observe and track the positions and motions of celestial objects and map out the expansion of the universe over time.

4. Can we accurately predict the movement of the universe beyond PI?

While we can make predictions and observations about the movement of the universe using PI and other mathematical concepts, it is impossible to accurately predict the movements of the universe with 100% certainty. The universe is a complex and ever-changing system, and there are still many mysteries and unknowns that scientists are working to understand.

5. How does the understanding of PI affect our understanding of the universe?

The concept of PI is just one small piece of the puzzle when it comes to understanding the vast and complex universe. While it is a useful tool for calculations and measurements, it does not have a direct impact on our overall understanding of the universe. However, by using PI and other mathematical concepts, scientists are able to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws and forces that govern the movements of the universe.