Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does these two equations relate?

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Hi, I'm in first year engineering and I have trouble understanding where this formula comes from in determining the relationship between the coefficient of volume expansion and the coeff of linear expansion.

dV=(dV/dL)*dL = 3L^2*dL

now i know that they changed the dV in the brackets to dL^3, but then I don't understand how dL^3/dL became 3L^2? Is there a part of calculus I am missing? does it have to do with a rate of change divided by a rate of change?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you express V as a function of L?

4. Oct 5, 2008 #3
    Volume = L^3, for a cube? i think that's the relationship there

5. Oct 5, 2008 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is dV/dL?

6. Oct 5, 2008 #5
    delta V / delta L times delta L = delta V the delta L's cancel. they do it on wikipedia too like all of a sudden http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_thermal_expansion it becomes 3Lo^2 and I don't understand

7. Oct 5, 2008 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If y = x^3, what is dy/dx?

8. Oct 5, 2008 #7
    then it is 3x^2, thats would be dy/dx. :S how about dX^3/dX? is it the same? OH or is it like dy/dx is the same as d/dX so doesn't matter what it is at the top?

9. Oct 5, 2008 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, dy/dx = 3x^2.

Now treat dy and dx as symbols small quantities that can be manipulated like other quantities.

Multiplying both sides of dy/dx = 3x^2 by dx gives?

10. Oct 5, 2008 #9
    umm dy = (3x^2)dx?

11. Oct 5, 2008 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right. Now change y to V and x to L throughout.

Even though engineers and physicists routinely do these types of manipulations, they make pure mathematicians cringe.

12. Oct 5, 2008 #11
    >.< ok that makes more sense now. I will try to hatch this in my brain. Thanks George Jones!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?