How Does Throwing an Anchor Overboard Affect a Barge's Buoyancy?

• Thread starter Brianjw
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves an iron anchor with a mass of 35.0 kg and density of 7860 kg/m^3 being thrown overboard from a small barge in a freshwater river. The barge has vertical sides and an area of 7.95 m^2 at its bottom. The anchor is suspended above the bottom of the river by a rope, and the mass and volume of the rope can be ignored. The question is whether the barge has risen or sunk in the water after the anchor is thrown overboard, and by what vertical distance. The weight of the barge is unknown, but it does not affect the solution. Considering the forces acting on the barge will help solve the problem.
Brianjw
This last problem seems to be causing me the most trouble:

Dropping Anchor. An iron anchor with mass 35.0 kg and density 7860 kg/m^3 lies on the deck of a small barge that has vertical sides and floats in a freshwater river. The area of the bottom of the barge is 7.95 m^2. The anchor is thrown overboard but is suspended above the bottom of the river by a rope; the mass and volume of the rope are small enough to ignore.

After the anchor is overboard and the barge has finally stopped bobbing up and down, has the barge risen or sunk down in the water?

By what vertical distance?

I'm not sure how to start this problem since the weight of the parge is unknown, but I'm guessing somehow that doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a question to help get you started:

When the anchor is on the deck, how much water does it displace?

if the anchor has not rested on the bottom then the answer is neither

another hint

jamie said:
if the anchor has not rested on the bottom then the answer is neither
Not true.

Brianjw: First answer gnome's question (that will get you thinking properly). Then consider all the forces acting on the barge in both cases.

Related to How Does Throwing an Anchor Overboard Affect a Barge's Buoyancy?

1. What is the purpose of "Me again, got another question"?

The phrase "Me again, got another question" is commonly used to indicate that the person asking the question has already asked a question before and is now asking another one.

2. Is it appropriate to use "Me again, got another question" in a professional setting?

While the phrase is informal and may not be appropriate in all professional settings, it is generally acceptable to use in casual or informal situations, such as during a team meeting or in an email to a colleague.

3. How can I politely use "Me again, got another question" without sounding repetitive?

If you are concerned about using the phrase too frequently, you can try using variations such as "I have another question" or "Can I ask another question?" to avoid sounding repetitive.

4. Is it necessary to use "Me again, got another question" if I have already asked multiple questions?

No, it is not necessary to use the phrase every time you ask another question. It is generally used when there has been a significant gap between questions or if you are addressing a different topic.

5. Can I use "Me again, got another question" in a written format?

Yes, you can use the phrase in written formats such as emails or instant messages to indicate that you are following up with another question. However, it may be more appropriate to use a different phrase in more formal written communication, such as in a business report or academic paper.