How Does Wave Speed Affect Pulse Travel Time and String Tension?

In summary, a 1.50 m string with a weight of 1.24 N tied to the ceiling supports a weight W at its lower end. The waves traveling up the string can be represented by the equation y(x,t) = (8.50 mm)cos(172m^-1x - 2730s^-1t). To find the time it takes for a pulse to travel the full length of the string, one can use the equation y(x,t) = Acos(kx - wt) and the values for k and w to calculate the speed of the wave, which is 15.9 m/s. This results in a time of 0.0945 seconds. The weight of the object W
azila

Homework Statement

A 1.50 m string of weight 1.24 N is tied to the ceiling at its upper end, and the lower end supports a weight W. When you pluck the string slightly, the waves traveling up the string obey the equation y(x,t) = (8.50 mm)cos(172m^-1x - 2730s^-1t)
How much time does it take a pulse to travel the full length of the string?
What is the weight W?
How many wavelengths are on the string at any instant of time?

Homework Equations

Acos2pi(x/wavelength - t/T)
Mu = Mass/L
f= 1/T
v=wavelength * f

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I found the mass of the string by doing w=mg and it was .127 kg. Then I found the mu, and that was .085kg/m. The wavelength was given to us in the equation to be 172 m and the T (period) was also given in the equation to be 2730 s. So, I found the frequency which is 1/T and it was .000366. Then I found the v, speed through the equation and it was .063 m/s. So, now that I have this, I don't know how to respond to the question though, how would I find the time it takes to travel down the string? Could I just do length divided by the velocity and I don't know how to find weight of the object? If anyone can help, please help.. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in how you would find the time it takes to travel down the string.

In regards to your numbers for the wavelength and period, remember that those numbers are multiplied by 2 pi as shown by your formula for a wave. Remember to divide those numbers by 2 pi in order to find the correct values for wavelength and period.

For the weight of the object: Wouldn't the weight of the object be equal to the tension in the string? Is there any way you can relate the tension to any of the known quantities?

Last edited:
ok, i did what you said about the 2pi but even if I did that, I get the same velocity. My answer then is 23.8 s when I do velocity divided by length. And, yes by tension of the string do you mean like just multiplying the mass of the rope by 9.8m/s^2, I did that and that does not seem to work..thanks for the help though..any further help would be appreciated..

Tension in the rope would vary along its length (rope is not massless). Take the help of a free body diagram. As mass is uniform, it would be a linear variation -- (W + 1.24) at the top, W at the bottom.
Thus, T = W + 1.24*(x/L), where x is along the length of the rope and x = 0 at the bottomost point of the rope. {L is length of the rope.}
Now, accordingly, you can find speed variation of the wave along the length of the rope. And writing it as dx/dt, and integrating for x = 0 to x = L, you will get the time required.

I tried that, so I took the derivative of 1.24(1/L) and then integrated from 0 to 1.50 and did not work...any other explanation or is there something i am missing

Relevant equation: y(x,t) = Acos(kx - wt)
where k = 2pi/wavelength and w = 2pi*f

(d^2y(x,t)/dt^2)/(d^2y(x,t)/dx^2) = w^2/k^2 = v^2

So, v = |w|/|k| = (2730s^-1)/(172m^-1) = 15.9m/s

1.50m/15.9m/s = 0.0945s to go up the string

Next, m = w/g = 1.25N/9.81m/s^2 = 0.127kg
u = m/L = 0.127kg/1.50m = 0.0849kg/m
since v = (F/u)^(1/2), we have F = (v^2)u = 21.4N

Finally, to find how many waves are on the string at one time, we want to know L (length of the string) and lambda (wavelength)

w = 2pi*f = 2730s^-1 --> f = 434.5s^-1

lambda = v/f = 15.87m/s / 434.5s^-1 = 0.0365m
so, L/lambda = 1.50m/0.0365m/wave = 41.1 waves

Lastly, determine the equation for the waves traveling down the string.

Likes CardiniPanini

Related to How Does Wave Speed Affect Pulse Travel Time and String Tension?

1. What is a "string with weight attached"?

A "string with weight attached" is a simple scientific tool used to measure the force of gravity. It consists of a string or cord with a weight attached to one end, and is commonly used in experiments and demonstrations to study the effects of gravity.

2. How does a string with weight attached work?

The string with weight attached works by utilizing the force of gravity to create tension in the string. The weight pulls down on the string, causing it to stretch and create tension. This tension can then be measured to determine the strength of the gravitational force acting on the weight.

3. What are the uses of a string with weight attached?

A string with weight attached has many uses in science. It can be used to measure the strength of gravity on different planets or at different heights, to demonstrate the effects of gravity on objects of different masses, and to study the motion of objects under the influence of gravity.

4. How accurate is a string with weight attached in measuring gravity?

The accuracy of a string with weight attached in measuring gravity depends on various factors such as the precision of the measurement tools and the conditions of the experiment. However, it is generally considered to be a reliable and accurate method for measuring the force of gravity.

5. Are there any limitations to using a string with weight attached?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a string with weight attached. It may not be suitable for measuring gravity in complex or extreme situations, and its accuracy may be affected by external factors such as wind or vibrations. Additionally, it can only measure the strength of the gravitational force, not its direction or other properties.