How effective is a pocket car window breaker?

In summary, these pocket car window breakers are very effective, but can be unreliable. They may be worth investing in if you are worried about being stranded in a car with a broken window.
The Lifehammer conical head manual hammer is three or four times more expensive than other brands. It advertised using hardened steel. Would the rest that used non-hardened steel would be less effective. Is there any effect between how hard is the conical head and how effectively it can break the glass?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So there is no difference between the $14 Lifehammer conical head hammer and a $3 generic conical head hammer as long as the head is pointed? Because I'm tempted to buy the cheaper brands but wonder if they are as good as the Lifehammer which may be the first one ever built?

seazal said:
So there is no difference between the $14 Lifehammer conical head hammer and a $3 generic conical head hammer as long as the head is pointed? Because I'm tempted to buy the cheaper brands but wonder if they are as good as the Lifehammer which may be the first one ever built?
As with all things, you get what you pay for.

Is it worth saving $11 (amortized over many years) to find out - when you're up to your neck in a lake and sinking fast - where they cheaped out?

Just a thought...

Likes seazal
DaveC426913 said:
As with all things, you get what you pay for.

Is it worth saving $11 (amortized over many years) to find out - when you're up to your neck in a lake and sinking fast - where they cheaped out?

Just a thought...

But theoretically.. is the metal head material composition when against brittle glass has any factor in breaking force?

seazal said:
But theoretically.. is the metal head material composition when against brittle glass has any factor in breaking force?
Couldn't tell you. But that's not the only way it could fail.
What if it's just aluminum?
What if it rusts in the years it's sitting in your console?
What if it just collapses?
You won't know until it's too late.

Your asking a very good question. I do not have any studies to share but I do have some input and good anecdotal evidence.
First would be the configuration. Does each of the ones you are looking at have the same cutters and window spikes?
Second would What are your realistic plans for these devices? My first guess as to the cost difference is that the copies do not have the same heat treatment for the spikes and cutting edges. It is the sharpness of the edge and the very small radius of the spike that enable the forces to do what you want it for. Heat treatment changes the corrosion characteristics of steel. One could hide that for a while with a chrome plating but it will still corrode quicker and that can make a significant difference in sharpness.
In a related vein I have on more than one occasion demonstrated the antennae method and then passed off the antennae to another person to try and had them fail. Inspection showed that there was a significant flat on the soft metal ball created by my strike. They inadvertently used the same hand position and failed due probably to the increased area of impact. When I had them consciously rotate the wire it worked for them as well.
I guess my answer is close to the same as DaveC426913 You get what you pay for. If it will be protected and used once cheap is probably ok. If on the other hand you are going to stick it somewhere in the vehicle and ignore it until OMG having it work right out of the chute is a good investment.

Likes seazal
What is this 'antenna' technique several peeps have mentioned?
Only antennae I can think of are on the outside of the car.

There are videos on youtube that show a great difference between the hard ceramic of a spark plug and other normal ceramics. So the hardness of the tip of the point can make a great difference. It should be harder than the glass. The punches used by firefighters have tips of hardened steel or diamond. Window glass is harder than the steel of a knife blade but not hardened steel. (Mohs scale: a knife blade, 5.5; window glass, 6.5; steel file, 6.5; see http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness)

Likes seazal
You are correct, the antenna is on the outside. I think I mentioned it in the last paragraph of my first post ( # 28 of this thread I think). I use it almost as often as I do my punch. Here is a quick youtube of the idea,

FactChecker is also correct it is about the sharpness of the material and the ability of that material to stay sharp until the impact impulse is translated to the glass. I love my punch. Spark plugs are cool but not always available. A steel ball on an antennae is good about one or two tries but not always available.

Part of my reply to seazal is that if you are going to have all your eggs in one basket It is a good idea to hedge your bets.

Likes seazal
Ok. I was waiting for these clarification before buying the more expensive Lifehammer, and I'd order them now.

My worry is not about falling into river, but more of overturning or minor collision where the doors won't open because of jammed locks, and the windows are not broken. Here the conical hammer would be handy. Thank you all those who offer helpful tips.

seazal said:
Ok. I was waiting for these clarification before buying the more expensive Lifehammer, and I'd order them now.

My worry is not about falling into river, but more of overturning or minor collision where the doors won't open because of jammed locks, and the windows are not broken. Here the conical hammer would be handy. Thank you all those who offer helpful tips.
1. First rule is to always try to open the windows electrically (push button) when down in water. Because I can imagine people who in their eagerness to try if the Lifehammer work forget to try to open the windows by button first. Is there actual case of such.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing also worth knowing - several modern cars are starting to come with laminated glass in side windows as well, not just the windshield. If you have one of those, a device like this will not help you, and will actually just waste time (and as Seazal said, always try rolling the window down first)

cjl said:
One thing also worth knowing - several modern cars are starting to come with laminated glass in side windows as well, not just the windshield. If you have one of those, a device like this will not help you, and will actually just waste time (and as Seazal said, always try rolling the window down first)

Ay! I presume that they did something to mitigate the fact that broken, or cracked laminated glass has very sharp edges that can cut you to shreds. Perhaps the modified the glass formula, or perhaps they have a way for the window to pop out intact.

cjl said:

Oh. I just bought 6 pcs of it. How do I know the side window is laminated or tempered? The model of the car is Subaru Forester 2016 and Honda CRV 2004.

seazal said:
How do I know the side window is laminated or tempered? The model of the car is Subaru Forester 2016 and Honda CRV 2004.

Call the dealers.

seazal said:
The model of the car is Subaru Forester 2016 and Honda CRV 2004.
That would be your answer. Very few cars have laminated side windows. The trend started appearing in 2017. The primary changer was that high end cars that were trying to improve the safety ratings needed better survivability in the difficult side impact tests. By using laminated glass the side curtain airbags had a durable surface to react against. The jury is still out on this practice as it is also known that it makes rescue more difficult and as anorlunda stated safety glass has sharp edges.

According to the vehicle manuals I have both of those vehicles are good for what you are planning. Many Fire and Rescue departments maintain manuals in the rescue truck that list characteristics of vehicles such as: type of glass, location of airbags, location of battery, anything the rescue types may need to know. The easiest way to find this info is to contact your local department and see if they have it listed. (The manuals are getting to be crazy so don't be disappointed if they are not current).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes russ_watters and berkeman
It also decreases the probability of a limb (or an entire person) exiting the window during a rollover, which theoretically should improve rollover safety as well. As you said, it does hinder escape or rescue though, so it's not entirely a positive.

Likes russ_watters
cjl said:
...it's not entirely a positive.
...but probably a net positive. This thread focuses on escape, but it's the impact that kills most people, not the inability to escape a burning or sinking car.

Likes cjl
Just get some old spark plugs and remove the porcelain part, break into pieces and keep in the car. When you need it, just throw the pieces towards to windows.

I don't know where I know it from but it's good to know :) There are bunch of videos in youtube related to this.

mastermechanic said:
Just get some old spark plugs and remove the porcelain part, break into pieces and keep in the car. When you need it, just throw the pieces towards to windows.
You're going to break a car window by throwing broken porcelain at it from a position sitting 6 inches from the window?

Huh. Apparently . you . are.

Seems to almost defy physics!

OK, so two questions remain for me:
  1. All the demos are from the outside, where there's plenty of room for a good throw. What happens when you are inside, strapped in the seat?
  2. All the demos use a freshly busted piece. What will happen with a piece that has been rattling around in your console for five years?

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
You're going to break a car window by throwing broken porcelain at it from a position sitting 6 inches from the window?

Huh. Apparently . you . are.

Seems to almost defy physics!

OK, so two questions remain for me:
  1. All the demos are from the outside, where there's plenty of room for a good throw. What happens when you are inside, strapped in the seat?
  2. All the demos use a freshly busted piece. What will happen with a piece that has been rattling around in your console for five years?

They are also many videos of simply throwing salt at the side windows and it breaks. What happens here?

Salt? Very interesting. I suspect that the salt, the porcelain the conical hammer, and the center punch all have two things in common --- a sharp point and hardness.

Salt crystals

208_wurgap.jpg

Attachments

• 208_wurgap.jpg
    208_wurgap.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 635
seazal said:
They are also many videos of simply throwing salt at the side windows and it breaks. What happens here?
I think this stretches my skepticism to breaking.
I will put my money on 'fake' until convinced otherwise.

Likes russ_watters and Tom.G
DaveC426913 said:
Driving on winter roads, I have had salt hit my windows many times and it never broke any...

Likes Tom.G and russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:

I used the wildcard "salt window break" in youtube…

So how does the salt break the tempered car side window? By molecular action?

seazal said:
So how does the salt break the tempered car side window? By molecular action?
I'd say by spitting a piece of hardened porcelain into his hand before throwing.