How far does space-time bend out in space?

In summary, Earth's gravity stretches to a certain point, but it doesn't go all the way to the edge of the universe.
johann1301
When looking at Earth's ability to curve space-time; how far does these curves go? can they theoretically be registered at the edge of the universe?(just an infinite small amount of course).?

i suppose i could just ask if Earth's gravity stretches everywhere in the universe? or.. is there a place in the universe where there is no gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
johann1301 said:
When looking at Earth's ability to curve space-time; how far does these curves go? can they theoretically be registered at the edge of the universe?(just an infinite small amount of course).?

i suppose i could just ask if Earth's gravity stretches everywhere in the universe? or.. is there a place in the universe where there is no gravity?
You guessed it. The closest thing we have to a direct answer to your question is the Schwarzschild solution. It describes a universe that's completely empty except for a single non-rotating, spherically symmetric distribution of mass with zero electric charge. In that solution, no part of spacetime is exactly flat. Curvature goes to zero as the distance from this object goes to infinity, but it never actually reaches zero.

Edit: I have corrected the mistake that Passionflower quoted in #4.

Last edited:
Thank you for a good answer!

I also wonder;

lets say:
1. There are two spheres that both have the same density as earth.
2. One sphere is twice the size as the other.
3. The bigger sphere would then have twice the mass.

would the effects of gravity in the big one be twice as big as the effects of the smaller one? for example; would time go half as fast in the bigger sphere?(relative to the other sphere of course) (time dilation) I guess I am asking if every effect of gravity is completely proportional?

Hope the question made some sense;)

Fredrik said:
Curvature goes to zero as the distance from this object goes to zero, but it never actually reaches zero.
You mean as it goes to infinity?

Passionflower said:
You mean as it goes to infinity?
:smile:

Yes, of course.

johann1301 said:
Thank you for a good answer!

I also wonder;

lets say:
1. There are two spheres that both have the same density as earth.
2. One sphere is twice the size as the other.
3. The bigger sphere would then have twice the mass.

would the effects of gravity in the big one be twice as big as the effects of the smaller one? for example; would time go half as fast in the bigger sphere?(relative to the other sphere of course) (time dilation) I guess I am asking if every effect of gravity is completely proportional?

Hope the question made some sense;)
Those are questions that would take me some time to answer, so I'll leave them for someone else. I'm sure there's someone who has worked with the Schwarzschild metric recently, who can answer in a tenth of the time it would take me.

Last edited:

1. What is space-time bending?

Space-time bending is a concept in physics that describes how the four-dimensional fabric of the universe can be warped by the presence of massive objects, such as planets, stars, and black holes. This bending of space-time affects the motion of objects within it, including the path of light.

2. How does space-time bending affect the universe?

Space-time bending is responsible for many phenomena in the universe, including gravity, the orbit of planets, and the formation of galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity, which explains how the laws of physics apply in different frames of reference.

3. How far does space-time bend out in space?

The amount of space-time bending depends on the mass and density of the object causing it. The larger and denser the object, the greater the bending. The extent of space-time bending can be calculated using Einstein's field equations, which describe the relationship between matter, energy, and the curvature of space-time.

4. Can space-time bend in more than four dimensions?

According to current theories, space-time is four-dimensional, meaning it has three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that there may be additional dimensions that we cannot perceive. In these theories, space-time can bend in higher dimensions, but it is not fully understood how this would manifest in our four-dimensional universe.

5. Is space-time bending the same as time travel?

No, space-time bending and time travel are two distinct concepts. Space-time bending refers to the warping of the fabric of the universe, while time travel refers to the ability to move through time. While some theories suggest that space-time bending may allow for time travel, it has not been proven to be possible.