How far will the truck travel before it stops?

In summary, the conversation is about a truck driver who puts his truck into neutral while traveling at 100km/h up an incline of 15°. The question is to calculate how far the truck will travel before coming to a stop. The person asking the question is looking for a headstart and is familiar with the concept but has not used it in a long time. They mention listing the givens, but then realize they have figured out the solution.
twenty5

Homework Statement

hiya, I have a question here ;

A truck driver traveling at 100km/h puts his truck into neutral just as the trurck starts up an incline of 15° above horizontal.

a) calculate how far the truck will travel before it comes to a stop?

Homework Equations

We haven't learned this in class yet; but I want a headstart. I'm quite familar with this, except I haven't done this in a few years and have forgotten unfortunately T_T

The Attempt at a Solution

I've going to start by listing the GIVENS: ... LOL i fail.

I just need a push start thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
nvm I think I got it. Ill come back with solution for anyone who needs it thanks

FAQ: How far will the truck travel before it stops?

1. How is the distance a truck can travel before stopping calculated?

The distance a truck can travel before stopping is calculated using the truck's speed, weight, and the friction coefficient of the road surface. This calculation is known as the stopping distance formula and is used to determine the minimum distance a truck needs to come to a complete stop.

2. What factors can affect the distance a truck can travel before stopping?

There are several factors that can affect the distance a truck can travel before stopping, including the truck's speed, weight, braking system, road conditions, and weather. Additionally, the load of the truck and the driver's reaction time can also impact the stopping distance.

3. How does weather conditions affect the distance a truck can travel before stopping?

Weather conditions such as rain, snow, or ice can significantly increase the stopping distance of a truck. These conditions reduce the friction between the tires and the road, making it harder for the truck to come to a complete stop. It is important for truck drivers to adjust their driving speed and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles in hazardous weather conditions.

4. Do heavier trucks require a longer distance to stop?

Yes, heavier trucks require a longer distance to stop compared to lighter trucks. This is because heavier vehicles have more momentum and require more force to stop. The stopping distance formula takes into account the weight of the truck when calculating the distance it needs to stop.

5. Can a truck stop abruptly without skidding?

No, a truck cannot stop abruptly without skidding. Skidding occurs when the tires lose traction with the road surface, and the vehicle slides instead of stopping. It is essential for truck drivers to apply the brakes gradually and maintain a safe distance from other vehicles to avoid skidding and potential accidents.