How finite element analysis differs from mathematic derivation in beam bending?

In summary, the conversation discusses using the finite element package abaqus for beam tip deflection modeling and asks questions about the effects of using more elements, different displacement functions, and a uniformly distributed load on the results compared to classical beam bending theory. The expert summarizer notes that using more elements can lead to closer agreement between theory and computer results, but the differences in using quadratic or cubic displacement functions and a uniformly distributed load are unclear. Additionally, the conversation touches on the limitations of 1-D beam models in accurately representing real-life scenarios.
olski1
So I just started learning to use the finite element package abaqus for modelling beam tip deflection under different loading conditions. I think I understand the theory behind it but was wondering if some one could answer a few questions about it to further my understanding.

Firstly, how do more elements in a simple beam with linear displacement deformation change the results compared to the classical beam bending theory results?

secondly, what would be the difference if i used a quadratic or cubic displacement function defining the deformation behaviour compared to the bending theory calculations while also increasing the number of elements?

Lastly, what would happen if i used a uniformly distributed load for the above cases?

I believe that more elements leads to closer agreement between theory and computer results as the derivation is a integral. however, I am not sure how the different deformation distributions (cubic and quadratic) affect the agreement from the theoretical results. Or for that matter how uniformly distributed loads are not perfectly represented by the modelling either.

These were just some points in the conceptual part of the book that like always have no direct answer. My beam bending theory has always been a little bit sketch, and I thought this would be a good time to rectify that.

Engineering news on Phys.org
olski1 said:
Firstly, how do more elements in a simple beam with linear displacement deformation change the results compared to the classical beam bending theory results?

It depends on if you're talking about 1-D, 2-D, or 3-D modeling. Are you just talking about "beam elements" which are geometrically just a line? Each element will give you results at the nodes, and then interpolated results between the nodes. The more nodes, the less interpolation has to be done. I think for most FEA codes the 1-D beam element is basically an implementation of simple beam bending theory.

olski1 said:
secondly, what would be the difference if i used a quadratic or cubic displacement function defining the deformation behaviour compared to the bending theory calculations while also increasing the number of elements?

I'm not sure what you mean by "quadratic or cubic displacement function," are you referring to the interpolation function in the element, or something else? Nonlinear material properties?

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "quadratic or cubic displacement function," are you referring to the interpolation function in the element, or something else? Nonlinear material properties?

I suppose I mean the deformation properties of materials. For example, if I had results from computer modelling that showed better agreement with the theoretical results when using cubic displacement function over linear for 5 and 10 elements over a 1m beam what could I infer from that?

It's possible to model plastic deformation of a model using a material's a full stress-strain curve in most FEA codes. I'm not sure you can "infer" anything useful from plastic deformation of a 1-D beam model through; the stresses calculated will be off from the real case where geometry and how the beam is attached at the boundary conditions will widely affect the solution.

1. What is the purpose of finite element analysis in beam bending?

Finite element analysis is a computational method used to approximate solutions to complex engineering problems, such as beam bending. It breaks down a continuous structure into smaller discrete elements, allowing for easier analysis and more accurate results.

2. How does finite element analysis differ from traditional mathematical derivation in beam bending?

Finite element analysis is a numerical approach that uses advanced mathematical algorithms and computer programming to solve problems, while traditional mathematical derivation relies on analytical equations and formulas. Finite element analysis is able to handle more complex geometries and boundary conditions, making it a more versatile tool for beam bending analysis.

3. What are the advantages of using finite element analysis over mathematical derivation in beam bending?

Finite element analysis offers several advantages over traditional mathematical derivation, such as the ability to handle complex geometries and boundary conditions, and the ability to easily incorporate material properties and other factors. It also allows for quick and efficient analysis of various design iterations, making it a valuable tool for engineers.

4. Are there any limitations to using finite element analysis for beam bending?

While finite element analysis is a powerful tool, it is not without its limitations. It requires a significant amount of computational power and can be time-consuming for large and complex structures. Additionally, the accuracy of the results is dependent on the quality of the input data and assumptions made during the analysis.

5. How can finite element analysis and mathematical derivation be used together for beam bending analysis?

Both finite element analysis and mathematical derivation have their own strengths and limitations. It is common to use a combination of both methods in beam bending analysis, with finite element analysis being used for complex structures and boundary conditions, and mathematical derivation being used for simpler cases. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate analysis of the beam bending problem.