How High Can a Projectile Go When Launched at 10 km/s?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum height reached by a projectile launched from Earth's surface at a speed of 10 km/s. Using the equations for change in potential and kinetic energy, the solution is found to be 2.5x10^7 m, assuming the exponent in the given equation is correct.
alexwaylo2008
Gravitational potential energy. Please help!

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from Earth's surface at a speed of 10 km/s. Find the maximum height it reaches.

Homework Equations

change in U = -change in K
U = -GM/r

The Attempt at a Solution

GMm/r = 1/2mv^2
((6.67x10^-11)(5.98x10^24))/r = 1/2 (10^4m/s)^2
r = 1.5x10^6 m
the answer is supposed to be 2.5x10^7 m ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you really taking a potential energy difference? I.e. GMm/(r-r_E) where r_E is the radius of the earth? Or did you post the wrong exponent? I definitely get 7 for the exponent, but I don't get 2.5*10^7.

I would like to clarify that the given problem does not provide enough information to accurately solve for the maximum height. We need to know the angle at which the projectile is launched and the mass of the projectile. Additionally, the formula used (U = -GMm/r) is for the gravitational potential energy between two objects, not for calculating the maximum height of a projectile. To solve for the maximum height, we would need to use the kinematic equations and take into account the acceleration due to gravity. I suggest reviewing the problem and providing more information to accurately solve it.

Related to How High Can a Projectile Go When Launched at 10 km/s?

1. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the potential energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, as the object moves closer to or further away from the source of the gravitational field.

2. How is gravitational potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance from the source of the gravitational field.

3. What is the relationship between mass and gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its potential energy also increases.

4. How does the height of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The gravitational potential energy of an object is directly proportional to its height or distance from the source of the gravitational field. This means that as the height of an object increases, its potential energy also increases.

5. Can gravitational potential energy be negative?

Yes, gravitational potential energy can be negative. This occurs when an object is at a lower height than the reference point for potential energy calculations. In this case, the potential energy is considered to be negative relative to the reference point.