How High Must a Rocket Travel for Gravity to Halve?

In summary: OH I just realized my mistake! i was doing 0.5GMm/R^2 but i had to do 2GMm/R^2. Thank you for all the help!
Hannahj1
A rocket ship is moving away from the Earth after having been fired from a launch pad in Florida. At what point above the Earth's surface will the force of gravity be reduced to ½ of its original value?
------------------

Prior to this question I was given the equations to calculate the Force of Gravity (Fg = GMm/R^2) and the Gravitational Field Strength (g = GM/R^2).

At first, I thought you would use the Force of Gravity equation due to what the question is asking but am I mistaken in thinking that the correct answer is gotten by using the Gravitational Field Strength equation?

I'm also not too sure about whether or not the original force of gravity would be 9.8m/s^2.

Using the given value G = (6.67 x 10^-11) and letting d = distance above the Earth's surface.. (0.5)g = GM/(R+d)^2, I just plugged the values in and ended up with a distance of (2.6 x 10^6) meters above the Earth's surface.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hannahj1 said:
A rocket ship is moving away from the Earth after having been fired from a launch pad in Florida. At what point above the Earth's surface will the force of gravity be reduced to ½ of its original value?
------------------

Prior to this question I was given the equations to calculate the Force of Gravity (Fg = GMm/R^2) and the Gravitational Field Strength (g = GM/R^2).

At first, I thought you would use the Force of Gravity equation due to what the question is asking but am I mistaken in thinking that the correct answer is gotten by using the Gravitational Field Strength equation?

I'm also not too sure about whether or not the original force of gravity would be 9.8m/s^2.

Using the given value G = (6.67 x 10^-11) and letting d = distance above the Earth's surface.. (0.5)g = GM/(R+d)^2, I just plugged the values in and ended up with a distance of (2.6 x 10^6) meters above the Earth's surface.

Please use the Homework Help Template in all of your schoolwork posts here. Thanks. :smile:

The force of gravity falls off as 1/r^2, so you only need the radius of the Earth to answer this question. Does that help?

Also, 9.8m/s^2 is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth; it is not a force.

berkeman said:
Please use the Homework Help Template in all of your schoolwork posts here. Thanks. :smile:

The force of gravity falls off as 1/r^2, so you only need the radius of the Earth to answer this question. Does that help?

Also, 9.8m/s^2 is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the Earth; it is not a force.

Thank you! So should i do Fg1 = Fg2 and when i reduce it, it gives me 1/R^2 = 1/2R^2 but the second R is radius of Earth plus the distance of the satellite? I tried to solve for the distance and got a negative number.

Hannahj1 said:
Thank you! So should i do Fg1 = Fg2 and when i reduce it, it gives me 1/R^2 = 1/2R^2 but the second R is radius of Earth plus the distance of the satellite? I tried to solve for the distance and got a negative number.

Try using Re and R2 for the two radii, and Fe and F2 as the two forces. Please post your full work so we can see it and correct any errors. :smile:

berkeman said:
Try using Re and R2 for the two radii, and Fe and F2 as the two forces. Please post your full work so we can see it and correct any errors. :smile:

OH I just realized my mistake! i was doing 0.5GMm/R^2 but i had to do 2GMm/R^2. Thank you for all the help!

Likes berkeman

Related to How High Must a Rocket Travel for Gravity to Halve?

1. What is the force of gravity?

The force of gravity is the force that attracts two objects with mass towards each other. It is also known as the gravitational force.

2. What determines the strength of the force of gravity?

The strength of the force of gravity is determined by the mass of the two objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the force of gravity.

3. How is the force of gravity calculated?

The force of gravity is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is equal to the product of the masses of the two objects divided by the square of the distance between them, multiplied by the gravitational constant (G).

4. Does the force of gravity only exist on Earth?

No, the force of gravity exists everywhere in the universe. It is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass, regardless of their location.

5. How does the force of gravity affect objects on Earth?

The force of gravity on Earth is what keeps objects from floating away into space. It also causes objects to fall towards the ground when dropped, and it is responsible for the orbit of the moon around the Earth and the Earth's orbit around the sun.