How important is the Putnam to math grad schools?

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not it is worth preparing for the Putnam exam. The person is hesitant and would rather do something else with their free time. They ask if it is worth preparing for, purely to improve their grad application. It is stated that the Putnam is not important and that coursework, recommendations, and the statement are much more important. Being a Putnam Fellow is significant, but otherwise it won't matter much. It is advised to do something else if that will make the person happier. It is also mentioned that preparation may not be effective as most Putnam Fellows have been solving similar problems for years. Ultimately, it is not something to worry about as not doing well will not have a negative impact
Werg22
I'm hesitating whereas I should make some time to prepare for the Putnam. If I don't have to, I won't, because I'd rather do something else with the little free time I have to be frank. So, in short, is it worth preparing for, if my goal is purely to make my grad application look better? I'm not expecting a spectacular performance anyways, anything above 20 would be more than I wish for.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not important at all.

Coursework, recommendations, and your statement are all tons more important (by a factor of 1000, 1000, and 1000 respectively).

If you'd rather do something else, then do something else. It will likely make you happier, which will have a positive effect on your coursework.

Being a Putnam Fellow is extremely significant. Otherwise the Putnam won't matter much at all, especially if you don't get higher than 20.

Besides, the Putnam is not something that a bit of preparation will be effective for. Most Putnam Fellows were also members of their country's IMO team during high school--in other words, they've been obsessively solving problems like those on the Putnam for years, probably since junior high.

Just don't worry about it. Not doing well won't hurt you one bit.

1. How does performing well on the Putnam exam impact my chances of getting into a top math grad school?

Performing well on the Putnam exam can significantly improve your chances of getting into a top math grad school. Many schools consider the Putnam exam as a strong indicator of a student's mathematical ability and potential for success in their graduate program.

2. Is the Putnam exam required for admission into math grad schools?

No, the Putnam exam is not a mandatory requirement for admission into math grad schools. However, it is highly recommended for students who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in mathematics.

3. Can a low score on the Putnam exam hurt my chances of getting into a math grad school?

A low score on the Putnam exam may not necessarily hurt your chances of getting into a math grad school, but it may make your application less competitive compared to those with higher scores. Admissions committees typically consider a combination of factors, and a low Putnam score may be offset by other strong aspects of your application.

4. How important is the Putnam compared to other aspects of my application for math grad schools?

The Putnam exam is just one aspect of your application for math grad schools. While a high score can certainly enhance your chances, admissions committees also consider other factors such as your undergraduate coursework, letters of recommendation, research experience, and personal statement.

5. Can I take the Putnam exam multiple times to improve my score for math grad school admissions?

Yes, you can take the Putnam exam multiple times, and many students do so in order to improve their score. However, it is important to note that some schools may only consider your highest score, while others may take an average of all your scores. It is best to check with the specific schools you are applying to in order to understand their policies regarding multiple Putnam attempts.