How Are Transistors Positioned on Computer Chips?

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary,This conversation discusses how a chip is made and contains a summary of what is explained in the videos.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I sort of understand how a computer chip works and what is its architecture. But how is it made? I mean, a chip contains billions of transistors, each having a microscopic size. Each transistor must be put at a very precise place. How do they control the position of a single tiny transistor? And how do they do it for such a big number of them?

A link with an elementary explanation of this would also be welcome.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's drawn using computer-aided drawing tools at a much larger scale then reduced optically.
Edit: The circuit is built up in layers, and each mask describes a single layer.

Likes berkeman and Demystifier
After all that work the first good ones are framed.:-p
IMG_20160927_073346604.jpg

and the bad ones are made into keychains.:frown:
http://www.chipsetc.com/intel-keychains-page-3.html

Likes berkeman
nsaspook said:
After all that work the first good ones are framed
98% yield -- nice! :smile:

One of my first jobs in the 1980's was drawing the mask for a chip by hand. Each mask used 4 sheets of A0 drawing paper joined together and was drawn with a coloured pencil. The drawing was then digitised and fed to a machine that looked like a very large flat bed plotter. Instead of a pen it carried a knife blade that cut through the top layer of a two ply sheet of plastic film. The top layer was red and the bottom clear. A room small full of people were employed to peel off the top layer of red film leaving transparent tracks. The resulting sheet was then photographically reduced to produce the mask used in production. Very time consuming.

Likes dlgoff, nsaspook, Jonathan Scott and 1 other person
A little old video, but from someone who knows; Fairchild.

dlgoff said:
A little old video, but from someone who knows; Fairchild.

That's a great old video but junction diffusion has been replaced in many steps by ion implantation because of the level of doping precision needed in modern devices.

Likes dlgoff
nsaspook said:
... junction diffusion has been replaced in many steps by ion implantation ...
I want one of those $5x106 machines to replace my little set-up. :oldbiggrin:

dlgoff said:
I want one of those $5x106 machines to replace my little set-up. :oldbiggrin:

We still have one (vacuum evaporator) that's used for sputter coating non-conductive specimens for electron microscope inspection.

Likes dlgoff

1. How are computer chips made?

Computer chips are made through a process called semiconductor fabrication. This involves creating a silicon wafer, which is then etched with circuits using photolithography. The wafer is then cut into individual chips and assembled onto a circuit board.

2. What materials are used to make computer chips?

The primary material used to make computer chips is silicon. Other materials such as germanium and gallium arsenide may also be used for specialized chips. Metals such as copper and aluminum are used for the wiring, and insulators such as silicon dioxide are used to isolate components.

3. How long does it take to make a computer chip?

The process of making a computer chip can take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the complexity of the chip and the production volume. This includes the time it takes to design the chip, create the silicon wafer, and assemble the chip onto a circuit board.

4. What is the size of a computer chip?

The size of a computer chip can vary depending on its purpose and complexity. Generally, they range from a few millimeters to a few centimeters in size. The smallest commercially available computer chip is about 7 nanometers, which is about 1/1000th the width of a human hair.

5. How has the process of making computer chips changed over time?

The process of making computer chips has evolved significantly since the first chip was created in 1958. Advancements in technology have allowed for smaller and more complex chips to be made, and the production process has become more streamlined and efficient. Additionally, new materials and techniques have been developed to improve the performance and capabilities of computer chips.