How Is Black Hole Entropy Calculated According to Bekenstein-Hawking?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
DuncanJames
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Looking for help with a detailed explanation of the Bekenstein-Hawking black hole entropy equation, specifically where the variables and constants come from to form this particular arrangement. The pic shows one form of which I found several. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Relevant Equations
see attached pic
none
 
Attachments
  • E3C1E0A1-7408-4607-AB44-426CF5910493.jpeg
    E3C1E0A1-7408-4607-AB44-426CF5910493.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
From where did you find the equation?
Isn't there a description in the write up?
 
256bits said:
From where did you find the equation?
Isn't there a description in the write up?
Thank you for asking. I’ve found it in various forms with varying amounts of description. (This particular one I think came from wikipedia.) To clarify, I know what the factors are. What I’m looking for is an explanation on how they came to be in the same equation. The fact that piques my interest is what happened to pi? Surface area requires 4 pi, so one of the others had to come with pi in the numerator to cancel out pi in the denominator to leave 4 by itself.