How Is Black Hole Entropy Calculated According to Bekenstein-Hawking?

In summary, the individual is looking for an explanation on how the factors in a particular equation for black hole entropy came to be, specifically the role of pi. They have found various forms of the equation with varying amounts of description and are interested in understanding the derivation. They also mention the possibility of another pi in the equation, which could be represented by the Planck constant.
DuncanJames
Homework Statement
Looking for help with a detailed explanation of the Bekenstein-Hawking black hole entropy equation, specifically where the variables and constants come from to form this particular arrangement. The pic shows one form of which I found several. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Relevant Equations
see attached pic
none

Attachments

• E3C1E0A1-7408-4607-AB44-426CF5910493.jpeg
    E3C1E0A1-7408-4607-AB44-426CF5910493.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 231
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

From where did you find the equation?
Isn't there a description in the write up?

256bits said:
From where did you find the equation?
Isn't there a description in the write up?
Thank you for asking. I’ve found it in various forms with varying amounts of description. (This particular one I think came from wikipedia.) To clarify, I know what the factors are. What I’m looking for is an explanation on how they came to be in the same equation. The fact that piques my interest is what happened to pi? Surface area requires 4 pi, so one of the others had to come with pi in the numerator to cancel out pi in the denominator to leave 4 by itself.

Related to How Is Black Hole Entropy Calculated According to Bekenstein-Hawking?

1. What is the "black hole entropy equation"?

The black hole entropy equation is a mathematical formula that relates the entropy of a black hole to its surface area and other fundamental constants of the universe. It is a key concept in understanding the thermodynamics of black holes.

2. How is the entropy of a black hole related to its surface area?

The entropy of a black hole is directly proportional to its surface area. This means that as the surface area of a black hole increases, so does its entropy. This relationship is described by the black hole entropy equation.

3. What are the fundamental constants used in the black hole entropy equation?

The black hole entropy equation uses the gravitational constant (G), the speed of light (c), and the Planck constant (h). These constants are fundamental to understanding the behavior of black holes and are essential in the study of their thermodynamics.

4. How does the black hole entropy equation relate to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. The black hole entropy equation is consistent with this law, as it shows that the entropy of a black hole increases as its surface area grows, ultimately leading to the eventual evaporation of the black hole.

5. What are the implications of the black hole entropy equation for the study of black holes?

The black hole entropy equation has significant implications for our understanding of black holes and their role in the universe. It helps us understand the thermodynamic properties of black holes and their connection to other fundamental physical laws. It also provides a way to calculate the entropy of a black hole, which is crucial in studying its evolution and eventual demise.