How is equation transformed by matrix

• Thread starter montana111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the given equation in R^2, 2x_2 − x_1 − 2 = 0, represents a line. By multiplying the given matrix A, [1 -1; -1 2], with two points on the line, a new line can be determined. It is possible to use the hint provided and plot the points to visualize the transformation. Multiplying the matrix correctly will result in the new line being mapped correctly.
montana111

Homework Statement

Consider in R^2 the points satisfying the equation 2x_2 − x_1 − 2 = 0. Show on a plot
the points satisfying this equation. How are these points transformed by the matrix
A =
[
1 −1
−1 2
]

Hint: To draw the plot, use the fact that two points determine a line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what does the question mean when it asks "how is the equation transformed by the matrix"? I don't really understand what they are asking me to do.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
2x_2 − x_1 − 2 = 0 is the equation of a line

now take any point on that line x=(x1,x2)^T and consider the product Ax, where is that point mapped too,

you could consider it for the whole line (ie every point). What is the image of teh line when multiplied by A? is it another line?

lanedance said:
2x_2 − x_1 − 2 = 0 is the equation of a line

now take any point on that line x=(x1,x2)^T and consider the product Ax, where is that point mapped too,

you could consider it for the whole line (ie every point). What is the image of teh line when multiplied by A? is it another line?

1) what do you mean by raising the point (x,y)^T ?

2) I still don't understand what I am supposed to do with regards to the equation and the matrix A. It sounds like maybe i find a point on the line in the equation (lets say (29, 8) which prob isn't on the line but just for example) and then multiply it by A?

One way to try this problem would be to parametrize your line, and express it as a vector, then see how your matrix will map it.

Or you could use the hint. You have an equation of a line. Find the coordinates for two points. If you have two coordinates, can you find the vector?

Matrices transform vectors to vectors by multiplication.

Last edited:
So i got some points on that line. I used (2,2) and (0,1). Then i drew the plot. then i multiplied A by (2, 2). Multiplying A by (2, 2) seems incorrect. Here is what it looks like anyways...

A = [ <1; -1> , <-1; 2> ] [<2; 2>] = [ <2; -2> , <-2; 2> ] (where <stuff> is meant to be a column)

I feel like I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

A straight line is determined by two points. Since a linear transformation (multiplication by a matrix) will map a line to a line, pick two points on the given line and multiply each by the matrix to get two points that determine the new line.

montana111 said:
So i got some points on that line. I used (2,2) and (0,1). Then i drew the plot. then i multiplied A by (2, 2). Multiplying A by (2, 2) seems incorrect. Here is what it looks like anyways...

A = [ <1; -1> , <-1; 2> ] [<2; 2>] = [ <2; -2> , <-2; 2> ] (where <stuff> is meant to be a column)

I feel like I am doing something wrong. Any ideas?

the first entry should be 1.2+(-1).2=0

1. How does a matrix transform an equation?

A matrix transforms an equation by performing a series of mathematical operations on the variables and coefficients in the equation. These operations can include scaling, rotation, translation, and shearing.

2. What is the purpose of transforming an equation with a matrix?

The purpose of transforming an equation with a matrix is to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve or analyze. It can also help to visualize the relationship between different variables in the equation.

3. Can a matrix transform any type of equation?

Yes, a matrix can transform any type of equation, including linear, quadratic, and exponential equations. However, the type of transformation and the resulting equation may vary depending on the type of equation and the matrix used.

4. How does the size of the matrix affect the transformation of an equation?

The size of the matrix can affect the transformation of an equation by determining the number of variables and coefficients that can be transformed. A larger matrix can result in a more complex transformation, while a smaller matrix may only be able to transform a limited number of variables.

5. What are some real-world applications of transforming equations with matrices?

Transforming equations with matrices has various real-world applications, including computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. It is also commonly used in engineering, physics, and economics to model and analyze complex systems.