How Is the Change in Linear Momentum Calculated in a Collision?

In summary, the change in linear momentum of the mass is 1.128 kg m/s. The difference in momentum is calculated by adding the initial velocity of 8.49 m/s and the rebound velocity of 1.07 m/s, resulting in 9.56 m/s. The absolute value of this difference is 1.128 kg m/s.
ViewtifulBeau
A 0.118 kg mass is moving horizontally with a speed of 8.49 m/s when it strikes a vertical wall. The mass rebounds with a speed of 1.07 m/s. What is the magnitude of the change in linear momentum of the mass?

isn't the change just the difference in momentum? I did .118(8.49 - 1.07) to get .87556 kg m/s. this is wrong so i think the answer is .118(8.49+1.07) because it would be minus a negative velocity. so i got 1.128 kg m/s. but i don't know if this number should be negative or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
The change is, as you say, just the differnce in momentum.

But momentum is mv. And v (the velocity) is a vector and has a direction.
So deltaP = mv1 - mv2, but v1 and v2 are in opposite directions, so you have to (numerically) add them.

Since you are asked for a differnce, then take the absolute value, i.e. positive.

I can confirm that the magnitude of the change in linear momentum of the mass is 1.128 kg m/s. The change in momentum is calculated by taking the difference between the initial momentum (m x v) and the final momentum (m x v'). In this case, the initial momentum is 0.118 kg x 8.49 m/s = 1.00042 kg m/s and the final momentum is 0.118 kg x 1.07 m/s = 0.12606 kg m/s. Taking the difference between the two gives us 1.00042 kg m/s - 0.12606 kg m/s = 0.87436 kg m/s. This is the negative change in momentum, indicating that the mass lost momentum in the collision with the wall. To get the magnitude, we take the absolute value of this number, which is 0.87436 kg m/s. However, since momentum is a vector quantity, the magnitude should also have a direction. In this case, the direction of the change in momentum is opposite to the initial momentum, indicating that the mass rebounded in the opposite direction. Therefore, the complete answer is that the magnitude of the change in linear momentum is 0.87436 kg m/s in the opposite direction to the initial momentum.

Related to How Is the Change in Linear Momentum Calculated in a Collision?

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. It is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. What causes a change in linear momentum?

A change in linear momentum can be caused by an external force acting on an object, which can either increase or decrease its velocity. In other words, an object's linear momentum changes when there is a net force acting on it.

3. How is the change in linear momentum calculated?

The change in linear momentum can be calculated using the formula: Δp = mΔv, where Δp is the change in linear momentum, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity.

4. What is the principle of conservation of linear momentum?

The principle of conservation of linear momentum states that in a closed system, the total linear momentum before an event (such as a collision) is equal to the total linear momentum after the event. This means that the total change in linear momentum is always zero, unless there is an external force acting on the system.

5. How does the concept of change in linear momentum apply in real-life situations?

The concept of change in linear momentum is applicable in many real-life situations, such as car accidents, sports, and rocket propulsion. It helps us understand the effects of forces on objects and the resulting changes in their motion.