How Is the Magnetic Field Calculated at Point P Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

In summary, the conversation discussed using Ampere's Law to determine the magnetic field at a point near a long straight wire carrying a current. The attempted solution provided an expression for the magnetic field, but the correctness of the answer was questioned. It was suggested to refer to online resources for a better understanding. Ultimately, the answer provided was deemed correct but marked down potentially due to not using Ampere's Law directly. The professor who graded the answer was recommended to be consulted for further clarification.
amb0027
Studying for a test, and can't figure out what the real answer is for this problem.

Homework Statement

There is a long vertical straight wire carrying a current Io upward. Use ampere's law to determine an expression for the magnetic field at point "P" a distance x from the long straight current carrying wire.

Homework Equations

Ampere's law: B =[tex]\mu[/tex]oIo / 2[tex]\pi[/tex]r

The Attempt at a Solution

Bp = [tex]\mu[/tex]oIo / 2[tex]\pi[/tex]x

Obviously not the right answer but I do not understand this stuff at all. Please explain? Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's Law is not what you say it is.

Go to

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/amplaw.html

Read what Ampere's Law is, understand it, then click the link "Magnetic field from a long straight wire". Read and understand that. These links provide as good an explanation as any that you can get on the web.

I don't see the link "Magnetic field from a long straight wire" And i know what ampere's law is i just thought it broke down in this problem to what I stated. Trust me I've read plenty I just don't understand how to do this problem...

To me it seems that your answer is correct.

Near a very long wire, if you imagine a circular loop of radius x whose area is perpendicular to the wire, we should have

[tex] \oint_C \vec B \cdot d \vec l = \mu_0 I_{enc} [/tex]

Symmetry arguments tell us that the magnitude of the B field should be the same at all points on the loop, and the dot product should always give B dl. So we can pull the B out of the integral

[tex] B \oint dl = B * (2 \pi x) = \mu_0 I_{enc} [/tex]

Which is the same answer you have.

What makes you think that this answer is wrong?

Head of Physics Department at Auburn says its wrong haha.. but didn't give me the right answer, just marked through it.. he did give me one point, out of 10..

amb0027 said:
Head of Physics Department at Auburn says its wrong haha.. but didn't give me the right answer, just marked through it.. he did give me one point, out of 10..

Perhaps you were marked down because you didn't actually use ampere's law.. you just used a special case formula derived from ampere's law.. I believe the answer is correct.

Maybe you should ask the professor who graded it why he marked it wrong.

Related to How Is the Magnetic Field Calculated at Point P Near a Current-Carrying Wire?

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnet or magnetic material experiences a force. It is created by moving electric charges, such as currents or spinning electrons.

How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is typically measured using a tool called a magnetometer. This device can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field at a specific point.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field at a point P?

The strength of a magnetic field at a point P depends on the distance from the source of the magnetic field, the strength of the source, and the orientation of the magnetic field lines at that point.

What is the unit of measurement for magnetic field?

The unit of measurement for magnetic field is the tesla (T), which represents the strength of the magnetic field at a point in space.

How does the direction of a magnetic field affect its behavior at point P?

The direction of a magnetic field determines the direction of the force it exerts on a moving electric charge. It also determines the direction that a compass needle will point when placed in the magnetic field.