How Is the Maximum Length of a Spring Calculated with a Hanging Mass?

In summary: That makes sense. So if the mass is initially at the bottom of the spring, and is pulled up to the top, the potential energy at the top of the spring will be -mgx.
Jacob959
A mass of 0.5 kg hangs motionless from a vertical spring whose length is 0.80 m and whose unstretched length is 0.40 m. Next the mass is pulled down to where the spring has a length of 1.00 m and given an initial speed upwards of 1.5 m/s. What is the maximum length of the spring during the motion that follows?

2. Uspring = .5kx^2, KE = .5mv^2

3.First I found the k value of the spring by taking F=-kx, or mg=kx and got 4.9=k(.4) or k = 12.25. Then, I thought the KEinitial + Uinitial = Ufinal. So I solved the equation .5(12.25)(.6)^2+.5(.5)(1.5)^2 = .5(12.25)(x)^2 to find x, or the final chance in the length of the spring. Once I found this, which I got to be.672, I added this to the unstretched length to get 1.07 as the max length of the spring. However, the correct answer is 1.16 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jacob959 said:
A mass of 0.5 kg hangs motionless from a vertical spring whose length is 0.80 m and whose unstretched length is 0.40 m. Next the mass is pulled down to where the spring has a length of 1.00 m and given an initial speed upwards of 1.5 m/s. What is the maximum length of the spring during the motion that follows?

2. Uspring = .5kx^2, KE = .5mv^2

3.First I found the k value of the spring by taking F=-kx, or mg=kx and got 4.9=k(.4) or k = 12.25. Then, I thought the KEinitial + Uinitial = Ufinal. So I solved the equation .5(12.25)(.6)^2+.5(.5)(1.5)^2 = .5(12.25)(x)^2 to find x, or the final chance in the length of the spring. Once I found this, which I got to be.672, I added this to the unstretched length to get 1.07 as the max length of the spring. However, the correct answer is 1.16 and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help?

Do not forget the change of gravitational potential energy.

ehild

I thought of that, but I am entirely uncertain how to add that in because we won't know the potential of gravity unless we know the final length, right? How would I add this in?

Express it in terms of x.

ehild

You can place the zero of gravitational potential energy at the end of the unstretched spring. Initially, the potential energy is -0.6mg, and the final potential energy is -mgx.

ehild

Related to How Is the Maximum Length of a Spring Calculated with a Hanging Mass?

What is the max length of a vertical spring?

The max length of a vertical spring is determined by its material, diameter, and weight. It can vary greatly depending on these factors, but generally ranges from a few inches to several feet.

How do you measure the max length of a vertical spring?

The max length of a vertical spring is measured by fully extending the spring and measuring from one end to the other. It is important to measure the length when the spring is not under tension.

What is the purpose of determining the max length of a vertical spring?

Knowing the max length of a vertical spring is important for designing and using the spring in various applications. It helps ensure the spring is not overextended or damaged during use.

Can the max length of a vertical spring be changed?

The max length of a vertical spring is determined by its physical properties and cannot be changed. However, the length that the spring can be compressed or extended can be adjusted by changing the tension or load applied to the spring.

What happens if a vertical spring is overextended beyond its max length?

If a vertical spring is overextended beyond its max length, it can become permanently deformed or even break. It is important to use the spring within its designated max length to ensure its longevity and proper functioning.