Discover the Surprising Simplification of \sqrt{e^{2t}+2+e^{-2t}}

• Thread starter danni7070
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the expression \sqrt{e^{2t}+2+e^{-2t}} and finding its square through the use of the sum of a product form. The conversation also briefly touches on the use of letters in exponents and their meanings.
danni7070
[tex] \sqrt{e^{2t}+2+e^{-2t}} = e^t+e^{-t} [/tex]

I just can't see it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The square root of expression A is expression B. So, what is the square of expression B?

[tex]\sqrt{e^{2t}+2+\frac{1}{e^{2t}}}[/tex]

Simplify it, then put it in the sum of a product form.

[tex] (e^t+e^{-t})^2 = e^{2t}+2+e^{-2t} [/tex]

Not 100% sure but is e^t+e^-t = 1 ?

danni7070 said:

No but ... this is equal to 1

[tex]\frac{e^t}{e^t}=1[/tex]

sorry I meant e^t * e^-t = 1

because e^t * 1/e^t = 1...

danni7070 said:

No it is not, don't mix * with +!

I know this is a stupid question, but is there a website that shows what the letters after the exponents stand for?

ghost02 said:
I know this is a stupid question, but is there a website that shows what the letters after the exponents stand for?
I'm not sure what you're asking :(

ghost02 said:
Is there a webset that shows what the letter "x" stands for? You can let letters stand for whatever you want. Perhaps it would make sense if gave an example to show exactly what you mean.

like [Tex] e^{2t} [/Tex] what would the t stand for?

[tex]e^t[/tex] ?

t can be any number, it could even be [tex]x^2[/tex]

[tex]e^3[/tex]

or

[tex]e^{x^2}[/tex]

In general, the letters at the beginning of the alphabet are denoted for constants such as numbers 1, 2, 3 ... etc. while the letters at the end of the alphabet ... x, y, z are used for variables ... an unknown number that we're looking for.

Last edited:
Ahh ok. Thank you very much. I thought it meant specific numbers!

FAQ: Discover the Surprising Simplification of \sqrt{e^{2t}+2+e^{-2t}}

1. How is it possible for humans to fly?

Humans are able to fly through the use of advanced technology such as airplanes and helicopters. These aircrafts utilize the principles of lift and thrust to overcome the force of gravity and allow us to travel through the air.

2. How is it possible for a plant to grow without soil?

Plants are able to grow without soil through a process called hydroponics, which involves growing plants in a nutrient-rich solution instead of soil. This method provides plants with all the necessary nutrients and minerals for growth.

3. How is it possible for light to travel through space?

Light is able to travel through space because it is a form of electromagnetic radiation, which does not require a medium to travel. This means that light can travel through the vacuum of space, as well as through other mediums such as air and water.

4. How is it possible for a computer to store so much information?

Computers are able to store large amounts of information through the use of binary code, which represents data using only two digits: 0 and 1. This allows for the storage and processing of vast amounts of information in a compact and efficient way.

5. How is it possible for a vaccine to prevent a disease?

Vaccines work by introducing a weakened or dead form of a virus or bacteria into the body, triggering the immune system to create antibodies to fight against it. This creates a memory response in the immune system, allowing it to quickly recognize and fight off the actual virus or bacteria in the future, preventing the individual from getting sick.

Back