How Long Does It Take a Skier to Descend a 320m Hill at 2.30 m/s²?

• Thread starter soapyshrimp
  • Start date
In summary, a skier is accelerating down a 30.0° hill at a rate of 2.30 m/s2. Assuming she starts from rest and accelerates uniformly, and the elevation change is 320 m, it can be calculated using the three equations for speed, distance, and acceleration. By splitting the motion into vertical and horizontal components, and using the knowledge of motion under gravity, the total distance can be found.
soapyshrimp
A skier is accelerating down a 30.0° hill at a = 2.30 m/s2 (Fig. 3-36).

How long will it take her to reach the bottom of the hill, assuming she starts from rest and accelerates uniformly, if the elevation change is 320 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should post these questions in the homework forum, and you have to at least attempt an answer.
But to get you started,

Split the motion into vertical and horizontal components (draw a diagram)
What do you know about motion of an object under gravity?

ps. giving it a title that says something about the question will help somebody decide to answer it.

sorry, I am knew at this. I've already drawn the diagram, but my teacher is not very good at this and kind of just gives us assignments and tells us to teach ourselves with notes that arent very helpful. so i don't really know to much about working this type of problem

No problem ;-)

There are 3 equations for calcualting speed, distance, accelearation - depending which you know and which you want to find. They are detailed here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=110015

You are given the accelearation along the hill so that's easy.
All you need to find is the total distance the skier goes, and you can find that from the angle and the vertical change in height you are given.

Related to How Long Does It Take a Skier to Descend a 320m Hill at 2.30 m/s²?

1. What do you mean by "I with a problem please"?

"I with a problem please" is a phrase commonly used to express a need for assistance or guidance with a particular issue or difficulty. It can also be interpreted as a plea for help or support in solving a problem.

2. Can you provide an example of a problem that "I with a problem please" might refer to?

Some examples of problems that "I with a problem please" might refer to include technical difficulties with a device or software, a personal or interpersonal conflict, or a difficult decision that needs to be made. It can also be used in more general situations where a person is feeling overwhelmed or in need of advice.

3. Is "I with a problem please" a proper or grammatically correct phrase?

No, "I with a problem please" is not a proper or grammatically correct phrase. It is often used in informal or colloquial settings, but it is not considered proper English. A more appropriate phrase might be "I have a problem, please" or "Can you help me with a problem?"

4. How should I respond if someone says "I with a problem please" to me?

If someone says "I with a problem please" to you, it is likely that they are asking for your help or support. The best way to respond would be to ask them to clarify their problem and offer your assistance in finding a solution. It is important to listen actively and show empathy to the person's situation.

5. Can "I with a problem please" be used in a professional setting?

While "I with a problem please" is not a formal or professional phrase, it can be used in certain situations where a person may feel comfortable speaking more informally. However, in most professional settings, it would be more appropriate to use a more formal and direct request for assistance or guidance with a problem.