1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take to fall to the center of the earth?

1. Nov 8, 2006 #1
    Let's assume that there are no other forces acting besides the gravitational pull of the earth. If a body started falling from the surface how much time would it take before it reached the center of the earth?
    It seems like an easy problem, but so far I have had no luck. So far I have only found acceleration as a function of distance (which is quite easy), which would be [tex] a=\frac{4G\pi \rho}{3}(r-s) [/tex] (rho: earth's density, r: earth's radius, s: traveled distance)
    But that doesn't help me since I need acceleration (or velocity) as a function of time and I have no idea how to proceed.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Write the gravitational force as a function of distance from the center. Then see if it reminds you of anything.
  4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    [tex] F=\frac{4G\pi \rho m}{3}s [/tex]

still thinking...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?