How long does soil take to heat up

• Thread starter Cooken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat Soil
In summary, if you had a 300mm diameter and 1200 long ss pipe filled with soil threw the centre of an 800 deg c oven, the soil would be preheated to 50 deg c how long would it take to heat up to 400 deg c. If anyone could help or know of a formula would be great.
Cooken
Im trying to work out how long it would take me to heat up soil. If I had a 300mm diameter and 1200 long ss pipe filled with soil threw the centre of an 800 deg c oven, the soil would be preheated to 50 deg c how long would it take to heat up to 400 deg c. If anyone could help or know of a formula would be great.

Science news on Phys.org
You cannot get it exact because "soil" is not a well-enough defined term.

i.e. you can find the specific heat and thermal conductivities of dry soil and the ss pipe.
However, the soil properties will vary a lot according to how it is packed and what type of soil it is.
Moisture boiling away will take some heat away from heating the soil too.

How detailed you need to go to depends on what you want to know for.

Simon Bridge said:
You cannot get it exact because "soil" is not a well-enough defined term.

i.e. you can find the specific heat and thermal conductivities of dry soil and the ss pipe.
However, the soil properties will vary a lot according to how it is packed and what type of soil it is.
Moisture boiling away will take some heat away from heating the soil too.

How detailed you need to go to depends on what you want to know for.
I know there's a lot of things to consider clay, rock that sort of thing I'm just after a rough estimate and moisture content would be around 30%.

You could probably calculate a reasonable specific heat from the information here (thickness of the steel pipe is important, also). Just add up every component you know: (total mass of steel)*(specific heat of steel) + (total mass of dry soil)*(specific heat of dry soil) + (total mass of water)*(specific heat of water) = total specific heat. Of course, you would have to calculate the "mass of dry soil" by subtracting out the water. The water gives its own complications, as Simon mentioned. To do it right, you should take liquid water's specific heat for the first 50° (up to boiling), then steam's specific heat for the rest of the temperature change, and remember to include the heat of vaporization in at the end of the problem.

Total energy input required = (Total specific heat)*(Total temperature change) + (mass of water)*(latent heat of water vaporization)
You can just take the average value of specific heat of water/steam over this range, which is 2.3 J/g*°C. I just did a weighted average of liquid vs vaporous water. Then you can just plug this into the equation at the top, and plug that answer into the total energy equation.

The much harder part of the problem is figuring out the rate of heat (energy) transfer from the oven's air to the steel. You can use Newton's law of cooling (also applies to heating) to account for the changing temperature difference (rate of energy transfer is proportional to the difference in temperature). However, you still need an initial condition. Somehow, you have to get a number for a total rate of energy transfer to the steel, and I don't know the right way to approach this problem. Maybe you could try calculating the rate of air molecules hitting the pipe, and assume the air leaves at the temperature of the pipe? The specific heat of air is known, of course. A oven with a breeze inside would be dramatically different from a static oven, the latter requiring some convection dynamics to approach (how fast does fresh hot air replace the cooled air surrounding the pipe)?

Likes Simon Bridge
Basically what he said - you can look up the needed values.

Likes smart are us
Thanks guys I'll give it a crack

1. How does the type of soil affect the time it takes to heat up?

The type of soil can greatly impact the time it takes to heat up. Soil that is more dense, like clay, will take longer to heat up compared to soil that is more porous, like sand. This is because denser soils have smaller air spaces, making it harder for heat to penetrate through.

2. Does the moisture content of the soil affect heating time?

Yes, the moisture content of soil can significantly affect the time it takes to heat up. Wet soil has a higher heat capacity, meaning it can absorb more heat energy before its temperature increases. This results in wet soil taking longer to heat up compared to dry soil.

3. How does the depth of soil impact the heating time?

The depth of soil can also play a role in the heating time. The deeper the soil, the longer it will take to heat up. This is because the deeper layers of soil are insulated by the top layers, making it harder for heat to reach them. Additionally, deeper soil layers tend to have more moisture, which further slows down the heating process.

4. What is the role of sunlight in heating up soil?

Sunlight is a major factor in heating up soil. Soil exposed to direct sunlight will heat up faster compared to shaded soil. This is due to the absorption of solar radiation by the soil particles, which then converts into heat energy. Therefore, the amount of sunlight a soil receives can greatly impact its heating time.

5. Can soil temperature affect plant growth?

Yes, soil temperature can have a significant impact on plant growth. Different plants have different ideal soil temperatures for optimal growth. If the soil is too cold or too hot, it can hinder the growth and development of plants. It is important for soil to reach the appropriate temperature before planting to ensure the best conditions for plant growth.