1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long is a piece of string?

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    I know the conventional way to answer this question is to measure its length in cm.

But then I thought everything is relative to another thing so the length of the piece of string is X cm relative to me but what if you zoom in on a section of string and measure the twists and turns... Then go further until you reach the atomic level.

Is it possible to zoom in further and further? Is there a limit you reach until you can't go any smaller? If so, why was the limit that size and what caused it?

I know mathamaticians consider a piece of string infinite in length but why doesn't it appear infinite to us? Is it because everything is relative? So if I was a microbe on that string all I would see theoretically is string... So maybe we exist on a piece of string much smaller than the microbe.

So maybe it's possible to zoom in an infinite distance until you reach a limit that's infinitely large like another universe that exists on that piece of string...

Why is it only strings that can be infinite? Why can't a piece of hair? a watch or piece of chicken?

I'm confused!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They do?

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

definately some strange assumptions there

I cant really see how zooming in on it would make any difference to how long it is
    take a piece of string 1mm thick and 1metre (1000mm) long
    for arguement sake lets say for that diameter and length it takes 1 billion atoms
    zooming in on a microscopic scale isnt going to make any difference ... its still going to be 1 billion atoms from end to end

and by that reasoning, it doesnt matter what the material is, a bit of string, a hair, a length of metal.... It has a finite size cuz it has a finite number of atoms making it up

Dave

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    I think he has fractal geometry in mind- like measuring the length of a coastline at different scales. Zooming in would reveal more twists, humps, crinkles, etc. And if one were dealing with a purely idealized mathematical object that was self-similar at every scale, then it would be infinite in length. However, it is a physical object and there is a limit at the atomic scale.

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    It's exactly twice the distance from one end to the middle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook