How long is a piece of string?

• Thread starter studentxlol
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, Dave is discussing how mathamaticians consider a piece of string infinite in length, but it doesn't appear infinite to us because everything is relative. He also talks about how there is a limit at the atomic scale and how zooming in on a piece of string wouldn't make a difference.
studentxlol
I know the conventional way to answer this question is to measure its length in cm.

But then I thought everything is relative to another thing so the length of the piece of string is X cm relative to me but what if you zoom in on a section of string and measure the twists and turns... Then go further until you reach the atomic level.

Is it possible to zoom in further and further? Is there a limit you reach until you can't go any smaller? If so, why was the limit that size and what caused it?

I know mathamaticians consider a piece of string infinite in length but why doesn't it appear infinite to us? Is it because everything is relative? So if I was a microbe on that string all I would see theoretically is string... So maybe we exist on a piece of string much smaller than the microbe.

So maybe it's possible to zoom in an infinite distance until you reach a limit that's infinitely large like another universe that exists on that piece of string...

Why is it only strings that can be infinite? Why can't a piece of hair? a watch or piece of chicken?

I'm confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
studentxlol said:
I know mathamaticians consider a piece of string infinite in length
They do?

studentxlol said:
I know the conventional way to answer this question is to measure its length in cm.

But then I thought everything is relative to another thing so the length of the piece of string is X cm relative to me but what if you zoom in on a section of string and measure the twists and turns... Then go further until you reach the atomic level.

Is it possible to zoom in further and further? Is there a limit you reach until you can't go any smaller? If so, why was the limit that size and what caused it?

I know mathamaticians consider a piece of string infinite in length but why doesn't it appear infinite to us? Is it because everything is relative? So if I was a microbe on that string all I would see theoretically is string... So maybe we exist on a piece of string much smaller than the microbe.

So maybe it's possible to zoom in an infinite distance until you reach a limit that's infinitely large like another universe that exists on that piece of string...

Why is it only strings that can be infinite? Why can't a piece of hair? a watch or piece of chicken?

I'm confused!

definately some strange assumptions there

I can't really see how zooming in on it would make any difference to how long it is
take a piece of string 1mm thick and 1metre (1000mm) long
for argument sake let's say for that diameter and length it takes 1 billion atoms
zooming in on a microscopic scale isn't going to make any difference ... its still going to be 1 billion atoms from end to end

and by that reasoning, it doesn't matter what the material is, a bit of string, a hair, a length of metal... It has a finite size because it has a finite number of atoms making it up

Dave

davenn said:
I can't really see how zooming in on it would make any difference to how long it is

I think he has fractal geometry in mind- like measuring the length of a coastline at different scales. Zooming in would reveal more twists, humps, crinkles, etc. And if one were dealing with a purely idealized mathematical object that was self-similar at every scale, then it would be infinite in length. However, it is a physical object and there is a limit at the atomic scale.

It's exactly twice the distance from one end to the middle.

Related to How long is a piece of string?

1. How do you measure the length of a piece of string?

To measure the length of a piece of string, you can use a ruler, measuring tape, or a yardstick. Simply lay the string flat and line up one end with the zero mark on your measuring tool. Then, read the measurement where the other end of the string falls.

2. What is the standard unit of measurement for a piece of string?

The standard unit of measurement for a piece of string is typically in centimeters, inches, or feet. The unit used will depend on the length of the string and your personal preference.

3. Can you measure the length of a piece of string if it is curved or tangled?

Yes, it is possible to measure the length of a curved or tangled piece of string. You can use a flexible measuring tape or a piece of string itself to trace the curves and measure the length. For tangled strings, you can try straightening it out as much as possible before measuring.

4. How accurate is measuring the length of a piece of string?

The accuracy of measuring the length of a piece of string will depend on the precision of your measuring tool and your technique. The smaller the unit of measurement, the more accurate the measurement will be. However, it is important to keep in mind that there may be slight variations due to factors such as the thickness of the string and human error.

5. Can a piece of string have an infinite length?

Technically, a piece of string can have an infinite length if it is continually stretched without breaking. However, in practical terms, a piece of string can only be as long as the material it is made of and the amount available. It is also limited by physical laws, such as gravity, which may prevent it from being stretched too far.