How many numbers containing the digit 1.

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the question is asking about the difference between the number of integers that include the digit 1 and those that do not, from 1 to 10,000,000,000. The answer is that there are more numbers with the digit 1 than without, and the difference is 3,026,423,998. The reasoning behind this involves a recurrence relation and calculations, but there may be a simpler method.
sutupidmath
How many numbers containing the digit 1.Help!

Hello,

The question i am dealing with is this:Considering the integers from 1 to 10,000,000,000, answer the following two questions:
A. Is the number of integers that include the digit 1 greater or less than the number of integers that do not include the digit 1?
B. What is the difference between number (quantity) of integers that include the digit 1 and the number of integers that do not include the digit 1?

a. There are 6513211999 that include 1 as a digit, and there are 3486788001 numbers that don’t contain digit of 1.

Therefore, there are more numbers that contain the digit 1 than not.

b.3026423998

Reasoning:

After some trials, i came up with the following recurrence relation:

[tex]a_1=19,.. a_2=100,.. a_{2n}=(10)^{n+1}.. and... a_{2n+1}=8*\sum _{i=1}^{2n-1} a_i[/tex]

Now the total sum of the numbers that contain digits is calculated by summing up the following:

[tex]a_{14}+\sum_{n=1}^{6}[a_{2n}+a_{2n+1}]=

=

a_{14}+\sum_{n=1}^{6}[ a_{2n}+(8*\sum _{i=1}^{11} a_i) ][/tex]

I don't know whether there is supposed to be a more clever and including less calculations method for doing this.

FIrst, is the answer correct? ANd second if yes, does my reasoning make sense?

THnx in advance!

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Let's look at the numbers from 0 to 9,999,999,999 instead. There are ten digit positions, each of which is filled with exactly one digit (including leading zeros). There are b^10 ways to fill them with b digits. When b=10, that says that there are 10^10 numbers in the range. When b = |{0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}| = 9...

Hope you don't feel too :blushing: for missing that.

CRGreathouse said:
Let's look at the numbers from 0 to 9,999,999,999 instead. There are ten digit positions, each of which is filled with exactly one digit (including leading zeros). There are b^10 ways to fill them with b digits. When b=10, that says that there are 10^10 numbers in the range. When b = |{0, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}| = 9...

Hope you don't feel too :blushing: for missing that.

Hi, i appreciate your response.

THe deal is that, i truly believe that my method is correct, since it is even compatible with the one you just described. But, i think i might have done some mistaces in calculations, while adding stuff.

FOr example let's look at numbers between 0-9999

so according to the method you just described, we would have b^4, since there are 4 digit positions to be filled with b digits. When b=10=> 10^4=10000, and 9^4=6561

So, the number of 1'nes will be 10000-6561=3439.

Which is exactly the same result that i get if i apply the method i 'invented'.

Let's look at it.

[tex]a_1=19,.. a_2=100,.. a_{2n}=(10)^{n+1}.. and... a_{2n+1}=8*\sum _{i=1}^{2n-1} a_i[/tex]

we would have n=0,1,2.

[tex]a_1+a_2+a_3+a_4+a_5=19+100+8*19+1000+8*[a_1+a_2+a_3]=1271+8*271=3439[/tex]

Which is the same as above.

So, i think i should have done some mistakes while adding stuff.

But the way you pointed out is much easier and way more clever as well.

Um, we can't comment on your reasoning because you've given none. You have just written down some sequence a_i without justification, so it's impossible to say if the a_i were correct in spirit but incorrect in practice.

sutupidmath said:
So, i think i should have done some mistakes while adding stuff.

That was my conclusion, since your number was very close to mine.

sutupidmath said:
But the way you pointed out is much easier and way more clever as well.

It only seemed clever because you didn't know it took me > 10 minutes to come up with it. But it is easier.

Related to How many numbers containing the digit 1.

What is the definition of "numbers containing the digit 1"?

Numbers containing the digit 1 refer to any numerical value that includes the number 1 as one of its digits, regardless of its placement within the number.

How do you determine the total number of numbers containing the digit 1?

The total number of numbers containing the digit 1 can be determined by counting each possible combination of numbers that includes the digit 1. For example, if we are looking at numbers up to 100, we would have 10 numbers containing the digit 1 (1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19).

What is the significance of numbers containing the digit 1 in mathematics?

Numbers containing the digit 1 have various applications in mathematics, including in binary code, combinatorics, and number theory. They are also commonly used in problem-solving and mathematical puzzles.

Is there a pattern or formula for determining the total number of numbers containing the digit 1?

Yes, there is a formula for determining the total number of numbers containing the digit 1. It is 9 x 10^(n-1), where n is the number of digits in the number. For example, in numbers up to 100, we have 2 digits, so the formula would be 9 x 10^(2-1) = 90.

Are there any real-life examples of numbers containing the digit 1?

Yes, there are numerous real-life examples of numbers containing the digit 1, such as phone numbers, addresses, social security numbers, and credit card numbers. They are also commonly used in counting and measurements, such as in distances (1 meter, 10 kilometers), time (1 o'clock, 11:11), and money ($1, $100).