How many possible combinations of 5 are there in 12

• Thread starter justasimplegy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Combinations
In summary, the conversation is about finding the number of combinations of 5 games out of 12 possible games, where order does not matter. The answer is 792 combinations. However, if order did matter, there would be 95,040 possibilities. The person asking the question is interested in using this information for a sports betting lottery where they could potentially win a large sum of money.
justasimplegy
hello.i need some help.i need to know how many possible combinations of 5(abcde etc.) are there in 12( abcdefghijkl)eg.their are 12 games of hockey that can end in a tie(shootout).each game is designated as a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l. 5 of the games will be tied.i need to know how many possible combinations there will be.thanks...ken...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I am confused. Are you just asking how many ways are there to pick five games out of 12? If so then I think you may be looking for

[tex]\binom{12}{5}=792[/tex]

Or is there more of a stipulation on whether a game can end in a tie?

thanks and hello.i mean there are 12 games.lets just say a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l, .eg: so games a.c.d.j.k.ends in ties.that means i have one right.i am looking for how many possible combinations there are in 12 games that i have to at least guess 5 correct.any groups of 5 ( eg: a,b,c,d,e ,f,g,h,k,l ,c,f,h,j,k etc. we have in vancouver a lottery for sports betting.if you can pick almost 5 hockey games that will end in ties(shootouts) and you bet 200 dollars,you will win almost 1 million.its hard to pick 5 on the nose but to pick 12 games that have the most chance of ending in ties is better odds for me.usually if i pick 12 games i get usually 6-8 correct in ties.other times its just 5.i want to know how many tickets i will have to buy to cover all the possible combos of the 12 games.they have to be 5 correct in any way.if its 792 combos that would mean it would cost me 158,400 dollars.but if i get all 12 correct i will win close to 792 million.i would risk my house to bet that much as i am tired of working.thanks for help.one friend said it would be higher than 792.this might help explain where I am coming from.5 games out of 6 games played the possible combo is 6.thanks..ken

pbandjay is right, if I understand your question correctly. To summarize, your question reads: How many combinations of 5 games are there, given that there are 12 games to be played?

This would mean that order has no significance (abcde is the same as edcba is the same as baedc, etc.). Therefore, we're talking about combinations, not permutations and 792 is the answer. If order was significant, then you'd be looking at 95,040 possibilities.

thanks for the speedy reply.yes 792 would be it as it doesn't have to be in any order just as long as i have 5 correct out of the 12 games played.if and when i do buy my tickets and i win.i will remember those of you who helped.$$$...thanks.ken

1. How do you calculate the number of possible combinations of 5 in 12?

The formula for calculating the number of possible combinations of 5 in 12 is 12 choose 5, which can also be written as C(12,5) or 12C5. This formula is also known as the binomial coefficient and can be calculated using the formula n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n is the total number of items and r is the number of items being chosen.

2. What does "5 choose 12" mean?

"5 choose 12" means finding the number of ways to choose 5 items from a total of 12 items without regard to their order. In other words, it is the number of combinations of 5 in 12.

3. How many possible combinations of 5 are there in 12 without repetition?

When there is no repetition, the number of possible combinations of 5 in 12 is the same as the number of possible combinations of 5 in 12 with repetition. This is because when there is no repetition, the order of the items does not matter. Therefore, the number of combinations is the same whether the items are chosen with or without replacement.

4. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations both involve selecting items from a larger set, but they differ in the way they are chosen. Combinations are selections of items without regard to their order, while permutations are selections of items with specific order. In other words, combinations are like mixing up the items in a bag, while permutations are like arranging the items in a specific order.

5. How many combinations are there if I choose 6 items from a set of 12?

The number of combinations of 6 in 12 is 12 choose 6, which can also be written as C(12,6) or 12C6. Using the formula n! / (r! * (n-r)!), we get 924 possible combinations. It is important to note that the number of combinations will always be smaller than the number of permutations because combinations do not take into account the order of the items.