How many tangents can be drawn from a point to hyperbola?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of tangents that can be drawn from a given point on a hyperbola. While the equation y=mx+-sqrt(a2m2-b2) suggests that four tangents can be drawn, the speaker's analysis shows that only two tangents can be drawn, one to the right side lobe and one to the left side. This is due to a mistake in the original equation.
vkash
y=mx+-sqrt(a2m2-b2) (which is quadratic equation)
So there should two tangents from a point but if we draw then we can even draw four tangents.
example; consider the hyperbola x2/16-y2/4=1 from point (2,0) i think four tangents can be drawn one to right side lobe and one two left one..
So which is correct equation or my analysis?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vkash said:
y=mx+-sqrt(a2m2-b2) (which is quadratic equation)
So there should two tangents from a point but if we draw then we can even draw four tangents.
example; consider the hyperbola x2/16-y2/4=1 from point (2,0). i think four tangents can be drawn two to right side lobe and two to left one..
So which is correct equation or my analysis?

Is this question this much tough that even after 293 views none able to reply...
I have done some type error in my first question. So please see the question written in this post.

You will only have 2 tangent lines. There will not be any tangents to the left side if you start in (2,0).

micromass said:
You will only have 2 tangent lines. There will not be any tangents to the left side if you start in (2,0).

Ohhhhhhh...
so that is it.

Your analysis is correct. The number of tangents that can be drawn from a point to a hyperbola depends on the position of the point relative to the hyperbola. In some cases, there may be two tangents, while in others there may be four. So, both the equation and your analysis are correct.

1. How many tangents can be drawn from a point to a hyperbola that is not on the hyperbola?

The answer is two tangents.

2. Can more than two tangents be drawn from a point to a hyperbola?

No, only two tangents can be drawn from a point to a hyperbola.

3. How do you determine the location of the tangents on the hyperbola?

The tangents will intersect the hyperbola at two points, and these points will be equidistant from the center of the hyperbola.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of the tangents and the angle of the secant line to the hyperbola?

The angle between the tangents and the secant line to the hyperbola is always equal.

5. Can tangents be drawn to a hyperbola at its vertices?

No, tangents cannot be drawn to a hyperbola at its vertices because the slope of the tangent line at a vertex would be undefined.