How much energy a photon has to have the momentum of a 10MeV proton

In summary: So for a proton with 10 MeV kinetic energy, the total energy would be \gamma mc^2 = (10*2+1) mc^2 = 21 mc^2, and the momentum would be p = \sqrt{21^2-1} mc = \sqrt{440} mc, and the energy of the photon would be E = pc = \sqrt{440} mc^2.In summary, the formula E^2 = m^2c^4+p^2c^2 can be used to find the momentum of a proton with a given energy. The kinetic energy of a proton can be calculated using the formula KE = (\gamma - 1) mc^2, and the total
ckp
How much energy must a photon have if it is to have the same momentum of a 10-MeV proton?

I am not sure how to go about starting this one. Can someone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good general formula to know in SR:

[tex]E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex]

Where E is the energy, m is the rest mass, and p is the relativistic momentum. You can see that for p=0 this reduces to E=mc^2. And for a photon, the rest mass m is zero, so this reduces to E=pc.

Meanwhile, for a particle with nonzero rest mass, the relativistic momentum is given by [tex]p = \gamma mv[/tex], where v is the velocity and [tex]\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}[/tex]

If you know a proton's rest mass m and energy E, you should be able to use these formulas to find its momentum...

so E^2 = m^2c^4+p^2c^2

my E^2 is less than my m^2c^4(the 10MeV is less than the mc^2 for a proton) so my p^2c^2 turns out negative. What am I doing wrong?

anyone?

First of all find the momentum of proton having energy 10-MeV, using the formula
p = sqrt(2mE) where m is the mass of the proton. Then using E = pc find the energy of the photon.

Where did you get p = sqrt(2mE)?

ckp said:
Where did you get p = sqrt(2mE)?
p = mv
p^2 = m^2v^2
= 2*m*1/2*m*v^2
= 2*m*E
So p = sqrt(2mE)

ckp said:
so E^2 = m^2c^4+p^2c^2

my E^2 is less than my m^2c^4(the 10MeV is less than the mc^2 for a proton) so my p^2c^2 turns out negative. What am I doing wrong?
Maybe 10 MeV refers to the kinetic energy, which is just the total energy minus the rest mass energy? I'm not sure what the convention when talking about high-energy particles. But it works out that [tex]E^2 = m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]E = \gamma mc^2[/tex], so the kinetic energy is [tex]KE = (\gamma - 1) mc^2[/tex].

What is the relationship between energy and momentum for a photon and a 10MeV proton?

The relationship between energy and momentum for a photon and a 10MeV proton is given by the equation E = pc, where E represents energy, p represents momentum, and c represents the speed of light in a vacuum. This means that the energy of a photon must be equal to the momentum of a 10MeV proton multiplied by the speed of light.

How much energy does a photon need to have the momentum of a 10MeV proton?

In order for a photon to have the momentum of a 10MeV proton, it must have an energy of 10MeV. This is because the momentum of a 10MeV proton is equal to its energy, and photons have no rest mass, so all of their energy is in the form of momentum.

What is the momentum of a 10MeV proton?

The momentum of a 10MeV proton is equal to 10MeV/c, where c is the speed of light in a vacuum. This value is approximately 3.33 x 10^-10 kg*m/s.

How does the energy and momentum of a photon compare to that of a 10MeV proton?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, while the momentum of a photon is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that a photon with the same energy as a 10MeV proton will have a much higher momentum due to its much smaller wavelength.

What other factors can affect the energy and momentum of a photon and a 10MeV proton?

The energy and momentum of a photon and a 10MeV proton can be affected by factors such as the medium through which they are traveling, as well as any interactions or collisions they may have with other particles. In these cases, the energy and momentum may change due to conservation laws, such as conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.