How much faster is Python than Mathematica?

In summary, the speaker has been conducting simulations using Verlet integration on Mathematica and is looking to generate maps of phase space with 25,000 initial points. They are currently using 1000 points and each simulation takes 15 minutes with CompiledFunctions. They are wondering if using Python would be faster and if there are any other ways to optimize computation. They also mention comparative stats between Julia and Python, with the speaker personally favoring Julia due to its similarity to MATLAB.
chahmquahk
I've been running some of my own simulations of a variation on a standard map using Verlet integration on Mathematica, and I would like to start generating maps of phase space using ~25,000 initial points. I'm currently at 1000 points using Mathematica, and each simulation takes about 15 minutes using CompiledFunctions. Would Python be significantly faster? Also, is there anything else I can do to optimize computation?

Technology news on Phys.org
Thanks!

1. How is speed measured in Python and Mathematica?

In Python, speed is typically measured in terms of execution time or processing time, which is the amount of time it takes for a program to run. In Mathematica, speed is measured in terms of timing, which is the amount of time it takes for a function or expression to evaluate.

2. Is Python always faster than Mathematica?

It depends on the specific task or function being performed. Python is generally faster for simple arithmetic and basic operations, while Mathematica may be faster for complex mathematical calculations and symbolic expressions. Additionally, the efficiency of a program also depends on the coding skills of the programmer.

3. What are the factors that affect the speed of Python and Mathematica?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of Python and Mathematica, including the hardware and operating system on which the code is running, the complexity of the code, and the specific functions or libraries being used. Additionally, the programming techniques and algorithms used can also impact the speed of a program.

4. Can the speed of Python and Mathematica be improved?

Yes, the speed of both Python and Mathematica can be improved through various methods, such as optimizing code, using more efficient algorithms, and utilizing parallel processing or multithreading techniques. Additionally, using libraries or packages specifically designed for performance can also improve the speed of a program.

5. Which one should I use for faster performance - Python or Mathematica?

It ultimately depends on your specific needs and the type of tasks you need to perform. Both Python and Mathematica have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of speed, so it is best to evaluate your requirements and choose the language that is most suitable for your particular use case.