How much force is required to jump?

In summary, an individual's potential energy is equal to the energy required to jump a given height, which can be approximated with the F=MA equation. Jumping from a standing position requires less force than squatting to jump the same height, and strength increases proportionately with jump height.
pleb22
Hi there,

I'm interested in the force required to jump. It's been a decade since physics, my old copy of Serway is 1,000 miles away, and I can't remember enough about solving the problem to put proper keywords into a Google search (yeah, it's pathetic).

I remember enough about Newtonian kinematics and projectile motion to solve or derive for initial velocity/time of flight/etc, but I can't remember how to relate initial velocity to force. Is there an instantaneous acceleration at the moment of lift-off while jumping? Can I use the F=MA equation, or do I need to look at kinetic energy?

Ultimately, I'd like to know how jump-height changes with body strength (if I were twice as strong, how much higher could I jump?). Would anyone be willing to walk me through the process of solving this, please?

Thanks in advance,
Plebe

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

We keep getting this kind of question! There is no way to calculate the force required to jump a given height. It is energy that determines the height, not the force. Taking your original height as the "0" for potential energy, at height "h" you have gained potential energy mgh where m is you mass and g is acceleration due to gravity- about 9.81 m/s^2 at sea level.

But "energy= force times distance" and the distance there is the distance you rose while still in contact with earth. That is, if you squat down and the leap upward, the distance will be greater and so you can produce the same energy (and so jump to the same height) with less force during the jump than if you try to jump from a standing position.

You can make a rough estimate, though. Your body travels about half of a meter when you apply force for the jump. So if you want to jump a meter up, you'll need to apply 3x your own weight (1x just to support body, plus 2x because it is 2x the height).

I recall that a gymnast doing a standing back flip reaches a peak acceleration of around 5 g's during a jump.

A peak, maybe. But I doubt that the average is anywhere close. They'd jump a lot higher otherwise.

Thank you, all, for the replies. I did not realize that it was a frequently asked question, as my searches did not turn up answers that seemed in synch with my question.

The idea for approximating the force seems reasonable - thank you.

With regard to the statement that I need to be looking at energy instead of force, would it be possible to instead frame the question as follows? "Upon jumping as high as I possibly could, I achieved a height of one meter. Is the potential energy at my peak height equal to the energy required for me to jump one meter? Is this expressed as mgh? If I weigh 1 kilo, is it true that it requires 9.8 Joules to jump one meter?

Finally, if we pretend that the acting forces are constant (ignoring air resistance, stretchy tendons, etc), is it true that my highest jump will scale linearly with my strength?

Thanks for your consideration,
Pleb

1. What is the average force required to jump?

The average force required to jump varies depending on factors such as body weight, leg strength, and jumping technique. On average, a person would need to generate at least 2-3 times their body weight in force to jump.

2. How does the force required to jump change with height?

The force required to jump increases with height, as the distance traveled and the amount of energy needed to overcome gravity also increases. As a general rule, the force required to jump increases by about 25% for every foot in height.

3. Can the force required to jump be decreased?

Yes, the force required to jump can be decreased by improving jumping technique, increasing leg strength through exercises such as squats and lunges, and decreasing body weight through diet and exercise.

4. Is there a minimum force required to jump?

Yes, there is a minimum force required to jump. This is known as the takeoff velocity and it is the velocity needed to overcome gravity and propel the body off the ground. The minimum force required to jump varies depending on factors such as leg strength and jumping technique.

5. How does landing surface affect the force required to jump?

The landing surface can have a significant impact on the force required to jump. A softer surface, such as a trampoline, will require less force to jump compared to a harder surface, such as concrete. This is because the softer surface absorbs some of the impact and helps propel the body higher.